Peer to peer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nearly every P2P network is infested with trojans, virii, etc.
The purpose of those networks is obvious.
We at TechSpot do not condone piracy in any form.
Apart from that, you get more hassle than benefit from P2P, so stay away, for your PC's health!

I agree, and I warn you not to go around posting posts like that on websites, because nowadays, they are getting ppl for pirating software.

I use lime wire. A good way to tell if what you are getting is legit look at the file size. A movie is not going to be 2mb and a programs is not going to be .5mb.

get emule.. just make sure that you go to the prefernces and make the emule program use your antivirus to scan with cause it does not scan the incoming files.. you will have to pay like 20 buck to get the software though if you don't want to do that i have a backup subsciption that you can have man..just email me and tell me where to send it..

errr - there is no subscription fee for emule. Sorry OP, but I think you've been conned!

I wouldn't advise emule myself anyway. I'd repeat RBS's advice, except for the part about p2p haveing too much hassle. P2P as people tend to think of it (piracy and music sharing, etc) I'd agree, but it does have some legit uses.

I think BitTorrent works well and has legal uses. I just finished downloading Fedora Core 5 Test 3 DVD last night, going to install it later today.

Of course every p2p network has users who fake or restrict their uploads, so naturally it hurts others.

One should remember that not everyone lives in the centre of the world before making sweeping claims about legality of things. In my country it is legal to make private copies of works of art. This means that I can download any movie/song as long as I don't share them myself afterwards.

And, in general, one doesn't get viruses from audio or video files - you get infected only if you are stupid enough to download and run executable files.

yes true.. you would have to purposely click on the exe file yourself to get an undesirable come bite you in the @..... although there are catches when you start downloading movies ands such, including ripped ones (hence part of the no piracy warning here) that those smart enough who makes those media files puts up a 'free' sign but then encodes into the media file say, for eg, a code that during/ending your playback of the file it launches a i.net browser to its website.. which from websites (including untrusted ones) can lead to problems (ie: spyware/adware)..

but still is a two step process to be infected.. so in general, even if its illigal or legal in your dot on the world map, dont download anything from untrusted sources (or just dont download illigal stuff from p2p in the first place), just like emails and spam..

and as a soon-to-be audio tech in the music industry i now understand why the musos and artists etc have this issue with this piracy crap.. think about someone throwing invisible punches at you then muggin you off your wallet, times that by how many people 'share' their music (for life).. same thing.. although interesting note is that some musos/bands will give out free live recordings from thier website to download via bittorent/etc, provided that you dont misplace thier trust by converting it to a different format or selling them or whatever thier terms and conditions are..

Hmmm

Everyone I know has Limewire, but I'll just stick with the tool's method of paying iTunes. Plus, how can people like 50 Cent complain about stealing. He used to be a bloody drug dealer!!! Anyway, nobody seems to have problems with Limewire, but there has to be a catch. Doesn't there???

nobody seems to have problems with Limewire, but there has to be a catch. Doesn't there???

There is. RealBlackStuff could tell you all about Limewire lol. (sorry, bad joke. No harm meant :D)

Unfortunately, while RBS was being incredibly generous with his time and expertise with peoples infection woes not all that long ago, for some reason almost every third thread seemed to involve some sort of infection from Limewire. Why just Limewire I still don't know, but it caused a hell of a lot of trouble with peoples computers. Worse was that at that time, the forum concered (security and the web) seemed to be aboutfour or five times busier than it has been lately, so I'm sure you appreciate that that's a LOT of machines infected.

It’s all about BitTorrent! It’s being used by several companies to deliver authorized content quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back