Pentium 3.06GHz w/HT put to the test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
HardOCP is first in the block with their Pentium 3.06GHz CPU review. Without doubt what takes this processor apart from the rest is the new Hyper-Threading technology being applied to it, now I can easily see how my new 2.53GHz P4 is getting old pretty fast.

On a related note, P4s are finally showing their great scalability, AMD will sure have no choice in the high-end other than wait for next generation CPUs early 2003.

Just a quick question...

This new Hyper-Threading technology, Will this speed all applications? Or is it like Multi-Processors where the software has to be written so it can specifically use the extra technology?

I ask this because i read somewhere that this new hyper-threading makes Windows XP "see" two CPU's...

The article says that Hyper-Threading will NOT require special programming to be taken advantage of. So regardless of how old the application is, it will take advantage of the hyper-threading technology.. Most likely because it is handled at the hardware level than software.

According to the stuff I've read about Hyper-threading, it is treated by the system like dual CPUs(for all intensive purposes) therefore I would imagine that the only applications that would gain anything from this would be those which are already capable of taking advantage of multiple porcessors. But I hav4en't seen anything to indicate that applications which don't support it will magically be able to do so with this when they get nothing from a dual CPU system.

Yes, Windows XP is supposed to see it as two CPUs and the system handles it that way.

I have seen a xeon based system that does this already. It has 2 processors but on POST reports 4 logical processors.

Windows XP is a better choice for hyper-threading than 2000 if you have more than 1 physical processor. Its much more hyper-threading aware.

Originally posted by Phantasm66

Windows XP is a better choice for hyper-threading than 2000 if you have more than 1 physical processor. Its much more hyper-threading aware.

Also, the new intel chip requires Windows XP.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back