Pentium4 3.0ghz(630) VS. Pentium D 2.8ghz

which is better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeapingThongs

Pentium4 3.0ghz HT 630 versus PentiumD 2.8ghz dual-core

which is overally better? and if these are the only option and you have to choose one.... which will you choose?

a pentium d is based on a pentium 4 core so its like two pentium 4's in one cpu so if u think about it a pentium d 2.8ghz is really equivilant to 5.6 GHZ VS a 3.00 GHZ pentium 4hope that clears things up

Dual Core anything doesn't equate to twice it's speed!

The dual core would be the better option. What you lose in outright speed, you gain in multitasking. ie, if you are running a virus scan or something, the PC won't be slowed down like it would with a single core.

well then y does it say in the nvidia web site theres this test to see if ur rig is good enough for vista it showed me Core2duo E6400@3.69ghz the it said beside it :equivilent to 7.38 GHZ

That's incorrect.

If it was equivilant to 7.38GHz, you'd be in the Guinness Book of World Records!

Core1 = 3.69GHz and that's what it processes at

Core2 = 3.69GHz and that's what it processes at

Run any test you like, and it will run at 3.69GHz, the fact that there is 2 means they can share tasks between them, not magically double their speed.

I don't want to get into an arguement!

Dual - and Quad - cores don't work that way.

Think of them as 2 CPU's running at whatever speed - like those 2.8's.

I think that if you run a CPU benchmark (that does not support two cores) or a program that does not support to cores only and no other programs, the 3.0GHz will win. But, I don't think anyone just has one program or process on so I'd go with the PentiumD 2.8Ghz

Chris

can anyone tell me what number or model is the PentiumD 2.8ghz called?

It is a pentium d 820 2.8ghz w/smithfield core, but there is also pentium d 915 and pentium d 920 w/a more recent presler core (I think), and these are all 2.8ghz, but whether or not your system is compatible or not depends.

Spleenharvester said:
It is a pentium d 820 2.8ghz w/smithfield core, but there is also pentium d 915 and pentium d 920 w/a more recent presler core (I think), and these are all 2.8ghz, but whether or not your system is compatible or not depends.

oh ok. thanks for the answer. I think its the 820 since it is a pretty long time.

I'm not buying one of these. I already got one of these. Just asking which is better.

Both of them are crap. Most new mobos support the Pentium Dual-Core (not Pentium D, this one is based on the Core 2 Duo architecture), so that would be the best buy. But if ur stuck with the choice, the Pentium D it is.

There is a difference between higher clock speed and multiple cores.
For an example, if you have 2.8 dual core pentium D then you get two processors at 2.8 GHz. That means you get 5.6 GHz. However, this calculation is a bit misleading.
Clarfiying more, if in doing any "single" process on a single core @ 2.8ghz needs 1 seconds then it will take same 1 second on a dual core processors @2.8Ghz and not 0.5 seconds as the calculations show.
But suppose a program that eats up all your "single core" processor clock speed and it takes 1 second to complete. Then for performing two such processess you need 2 second on a single core processor. But 1 second on a dual core processor.
Hope, after reading the above lines carefully, the doubt of the thread owner would be cleared. :):)
Regards,
TheHacker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back