Performance monitor -does anyone REALLY know how to use it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fellow Geeks,
I've been a PC tech for years now, and when optimizing a PC I usually just do the basics (defrag, Scandisc, hardware diagnostics, AV scan, etc). But I've been wanting to expand on my deep knowledge of PC configurations by using advanced settings and learning indepth diagnostics.
One feature that Windows has is the Performance Monitor (Control panel/Admin Tools/Performance). Theres about a thousand items that can be monitored (CPU/interupts per sec;DPC rate....Memory/page reads per sec;transition bits per sec, ...etc).
Does anyone know of a book or link that teaches these indepth diagnostics for the MS Performance Monitor?
Thanks,
DCO

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I can`t say I`ve ever used it myself, but checkout the links below.

Look HERE for an overview of performance monitor.

Look HERE for the performance monitor wizard download.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Learn mini-dumps

If you follow these threads much, you'll soon realise the best methods of deep problem solving involve checking mini-dumps. Not long ago a thread was published describing how to get the necessary analysis tools. Search this site for mini-dump analysis or similar.

Howard is a guru on this topic, so are one or two others.

google for 'performance tuning'

This is a B I G subject and very specific for each platform (ie: OS).
However, many concepts carry over.

For example, Paging: Some is normal, page stealling is ok, but page-out count
says there's too much running for the memory available in the host.

You can learn a great deal by studying system performance metrics.

Great Info

Thanks everyone,
I'd love to see more talk about in depth diagnostics and benchmarking.I firmly believe that if you know how to interpret very specific specs, it can go a long way to troubleshooting or optimizing systems.
I'll look into "mini dumps" also. I've printed out the Performance Monitor tutorial, but I'll continue to look for a book on thr subject. I'll post my findings.
In the meantime, if anyone else can add more info regarding how to use Performance Monitor specs, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
DCO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back