Perhaps the most controversial question in the history of computers

korrupt

Alright, I am building a new pc and obviously want the best out of it.

Should I leave my computer on as much as possible or turn it off when I'm not using it?

This question will get a different reply from any number of people but am open to any suggestions.

Regards,

Korrupt

Take a look at this article HERE. It seems to come down on the side of turning the computer off when not in use.

This is exactly what I do and haven`t had any problems, I could directly attribute to doing so.

In my opinion turning the computer off, saves energy, wear and tear, and the possibility of a fire hazard.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks for your reply Howard. Although it was incredibly helpfull, I am also after your personal opinion.

Regards,

Korrupt

Yeh, I know. I meant that your in depth reply doesnt mean that anyone else shouldnt reply thinking that the question has already been answered.

Thanks mate. Sorry for misunderstanding!

Regards,

Korrupt

I've talked to several EEs at work about this. They all side on "turn it off."

Plus, it saves electricity.

ROTFL! That's gotta be added to the Jokes Thread! Really nice one mate! :grinthumb
And yes, I'm in favour of turning the PC off when it's not in use. Unless u have cash(or more PCs) to burn :D

I don't have any hard evidence to back me up, but I've heard that the electricity used to boot up the computer is more than what it uses just being left on. I always leave my computers running, not because I'm trying to save energy, I'm just too impatient to wait for my computer to boot up every time.

Heheh spike, nice one.

I was waiting for the recycle bin to do something, but got eaten. R.I.P Recycle bin:angel:

Regards,

Korrupt

In my response, there are two sides:

Side#1: Argues that turning off the compter helps to save energy, reduce wear and tear from prolonged use, etc

Side#2: Argues that letting the computer stay on makes it easier to work on it, and will prevent the deadly "Power-On-Death" of a computer

Anyway you slice it, there will be a debate.

IMO? Well, leaving the computer when you're downloading HUGE files is definitely a plus, and shutting it off DEFINITELY saves you money on a HUGE *** electric bill. With me, it mostly depends on how much money and time you have. An alternative would be hibernation, but most say that produces more problems than it's worth...

Back