Persistant Blue Screen, Corrupt Memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I woke up this morning, turned on my monitor to a bit of a surprise, a blue screen of death. I’ve seen these every month or two since putting in my 2nd Graphics Card(sli) and Sound Card about a year ago, so I wasn’t worried, but those were all irq address errors and went away on a restart. This is different.

After restarting and clicking through the windows login screen the error came up again, or an error did anyway, it seemed to be different each time. I tried it 16-20 times.
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA seemed to be the most common, but it’s not the only one(I wasn’t expecting this to be quite so difficult to fix and didn’t bother to write them all down, unfortunately)
The error address is usually either 0x00000050, or 0x00000000, and a 0x0000007e, and 0x0000008e once or twice as well.

I was able to boot up in safe mode with out difficulty, and it seemed to run fine in that, so I assumed it was not a hardware error and decided to run a windows repair from the boot cd. Big mistake as it turns out.

The repair process got into an endless loop, getting mostly installed, then bsodding on me, again usually with PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and 0x00000050, but sometimes with no name, and a seemingly random address. Now I can’t get into safe mode even, since windows is only half installed, so I can’t check the minidumps or anything else. Deciding to try a slightly different approach I tried to install a new windows installation rather then repairing the old one, and it’s failed in a somewhat more random way, ie it gets to different depths into the installation before crashing to a bsod, and the bsod never has an error name. And sometimes before the bsod I get a memory can not be written error.

After reading a few other threads about here and elsewhere I tried Http://www.memtest86.com/ ‘s memory tester. The results were…. interesting. Within 40 seconds or so of running Memtest-86 I have over 150k errors(all of the Err-Bits are 0000XX00(the two Xs)) This kind of leads me to suspect the memory tester might not be giving me reliable results. I could be wrong but I do not believe the windows installation would get half-way though if the memory was that corrupt, or that I would have been able to get into and run around in windows safe mode. For that matter, I can’t imagine what would have damaged the memory, do they just die sometimes? I’ve been using the same ram for fifteen or so months with no problem, and for it to just come out of the blue(ie no hardware, software, or driver changes with the past few weeks) like this seemed to me more like a software problem then hardware.

Nevertheless a hardware problem seems most likely now, so my question is: Is it possible something other then the ram could be causing these problems? The motherboard seems possible to me, and indeed when I built this thing about fifteen months ago I cheaped out on the motherboard after spending all my money on the rest of it.

Also, what could damage the RAM like that? Assuming it is the ram. Or the MoBo assuming it’s that?

You might need some clarification on "error address" stuff. What you post are just the memory dumps...
You have defective memory... as all those 0000xx00 are memory addresses with errors.
Once you replace the memory, your problem will likely go away.
Your memory may be under warranty. Or it may be value ram or third tier memory that is unreliable. You may also have other hardware issues such as pci cards, power supplies, defective cables that are damaging your memory.

I did, it is, i'm just in denial and want to believe its the MoBo :eek: . I'm more curious as to what causes memory to go bad, so i can try to avoid it from happening in the future.

Only one stick of my dual channel ram was corrupt, so i've got the machine running now with the other one. It just baffles me that it would stop working for seemingly no reason.

Faulty memory can wreck havoc on a system. Why they go bad can be due to several reasons. Sometimes it is due to overclocking, wrong voltage setting, etc. Sometimes it is due to the Manufacturer. Ove a year ago Crucial, who makes great memory, was forced to remove their PC4000 and to a lesser degree PC 3200 Ballistix RAM from the market because of significant failures. Many people would have it running great for 6 months and then - Bam! - it began to fail.

Typcially when you add new components to an aging system, your Power supply is strained and starts to fail causing other components (usually ram) to go. check your RAM with memtest 86+ for at least 7 passes. Replace all faulty ram and it probably would be prudent to beef up your PSU with a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back