Status
Not open for further replies.

lokem

Phone makers copy PCs
By Michael Kanellos and Ben Charny
Staff Writers, CNET News.com
April 2, 2002, 4:00 AM PT

http://news.com.com/2100-1033-873358.html

With the coming of 3G networks and wireless data services, cell phones aren't going to just resemble PCs. They're going to be PCs.

Cell phone designers, chipmakers, software developers and others are in the midst of retrofitting the ubiquitous cell phone so handhelds can better handle stock quotes, e-mail traffic--even applications for offtrack betting.

And the engineers are lifting many of these concepts and designs straight out of the home computer.

Many future cell phones, for instance, will come with standard computer memory, or DRAM , for rapid data access. Meanwhile, flash memory, used now for data access in phones but slower than DRAM, will function more like a hard drive.

Dual processor phones will also emerge with two CPUs, sometimes on the same piece of silicon, acting as the brain inside a handheld.

I don't quite get this and I doubt this is an April Fools joke. How big do they want to make cellphones?? Shouldn't they just shrink and existing notebook??

I just read an article in the new FORTUNE magazine about how Samsung is making a cell phone like the Nokia Communicator series. They said the screen on it will be 5 inches!!! That is a big cell phone to be lugging around. Pretty soon the cell phones will be faster than my computer is now!

It's ok though, because any new technology I greet with open arms.

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
I just read an article in the new FORTUNE magazine about how Samsung is making a cell phone like the Nokia Communicator series. They said the screen on it will be 5 inches!!! That is a big cell phone to be lugging around. Pretty soon the cell phones will be faster than my computer is now!

It's ok though, because any new technology I greet with open arms.

5 inches??? Gosh... That's like carrying a small Sony VAIO.

I greet new tech with open arms as well (with an open wallet as well; if there's anything inside {g}); but only new stuff that are usable :D

Even though if it's light, it's rather hard to fit in yer pocket. I wouldn't want to carry a PDA like carrying an overgrown wallet.

Originally posted by lokem
Even though if it's light, it's rather hard to fit in yer pocket. I wouldn't want to carry a PDA like carrying an overgrown wallet.

No bad though, if you usually carry a PDA in the pocket like me. You'll get used to it easily.:D :D :D

Originally posted by young&wild
No bad though, if you usually carry a PDA in the pocket like me. You'll get used to it easily.:D :D :D

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury to own a PDA :D Seriously though, I doubt any of the Palms/Pocket PCs have a 5" monitor rite? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back