Photos coming up the wrong color?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cvillesvx

Ok, brief description of the problem: My photographs (.jpeg) are coming up a slightly off color in almost every application I use (Windows preview, Nikon programs, random third party stuff), but coming up properly in paint...random i know. They even show properly in the thumbnail version, but as soon as you open the picture in anything but MS Paint, it is an off color (darker and more earthy?). This is quite frankly driving me insane, since if you correct a picture before you print it, it comes out looking totally different (since the printer is giving you what it SHOULD look like on the monitor). There is doubtful anything wrong with the monitor as everything else displays quite well, but I am at my wits end...help me please!

Here is the computer for reference:
Intel DG965WH Mobo
Core 2 Duo e6300
Ati x1900xtx
2gb Crucial Ballistix
Antec 650w PS
2x320gb Seagate HD
Vista Ultimate

and YES, the video drivers are up to date

Thanks!

On the face of it, MS paint being part of Vista and very old, probably unmodified since Win98, it could be using standard Vista video driver, whereas add-on packages may drive the video differently via their own 'mini-drivers', which are not getting quite the same thing from Vista.

I hate to say it, but it could be yet another Vista bug that might be ironed out in SP1, or may have to wait for SP2.

Is there any facility within Vista to do color matching, like from within the video driver?

check the settings of your video -- many high-end cards have color correction
capability.
make sure the GAMA ramp is linear (the default).

Gamma ramp is indeed linear, but i did find something with ICC color profiles or something like that in the display properties, but i dont know what to tinker with

One measure of correctness would be a wallpaper you know is correct.
If it is displayed correctly and JPGs are not, then it is an application error.

Your problem is getting a 'known picture to use as a standard'.

A good graphics program like Photoshop has a calibration tool to assist you.
If you don't have one, then get a good jpg with lots of colors, particularly
flesh.
Display the photo and tweek the card controls until it comes out right.

Caution: be sure to document the settings BEFORE you start so you can
revert to it if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back