PHP & MySQL on 98se

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel161

OK, the computer is one of my friends that wants to do some web developing on. It needs phpmyadmin, php, and mysql. The first thing would be a application like XAMPP, WAMP or WOS, but those require some kinda - advanced setup because the computer has no internet connection, and from what I read apache ties into something with the connection and if you don't have internet Windows needs something like a "Loop-Back" adapter.

So here are my questions....

1. Does anyone know of an all-in-one server package that does NOT involve messing with the network settings?

or...

2. Can someone give me step-by-step instructions to get XAMPP to work on the 98se, w/o a internet connection.

Thanks for any help!

--Daniel L

1- phpmyadmin is not a requirement. everything it provides can be done in other means
2- installing Apache will cause it to configure to Listen *:80 which means ANY IP address on port 80 --
guess what -- the loopback address 127.0.0.1 works just fine.

you can access your local machine with urls like

Install each service one at a time and get the configuration correct for it before
installing the next.
  1. Apache
  2. Php
  3. MySql

When you get to MySql, be sure to install the Admin tool too :)
(hint: read read and reread the install instructions on MySQL and the
user permissions/password requirements. it can be tricky.

idk....

Well i installed a straight up version of apache, but i am still getting errors. In the config file i have tried a bunch of ports and addresses from "localhost", "127.0.0.1", ports 80, 8080, 1234, 8765 and *:80. The errors are all the same, it keeps arguing about a network that is missing or something, the network setting are below, remember this computer does not have any network card. In ms networking i have the following settings... Client for ms networks existing ndis2 driver (it was the default, i have no network card in that computer) tcp/ip everything is default except tcp/ip which has the ip/subnet settings to... 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 anyone else have any ideas?

>> "127.0.0.1", ports 80, 8080, 1234, 8765 and *:80.

trim it all down to Listen *:80 --- this is all that is necessary.

the total absence of the NIC card may be the issue.
Can you use Dial-up on that system? Slip or PPP should work.
1- dial-up the isp
2- try to start Apache​

Don't bother with a Usb-Ethernet converter either as Win/98 has problems (in my experience) getting USB to work well.

I don't have dialup, So, yesterday I was getting frustrated and was thinking I had better things to do, so I just went over to Target, spent $20 on an Ethernet pci card, and hooked it to an old DSL modem to give out the ip address, so now the problem is fixed! Thanks for all your pointers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back