Pi

Phantasm66

314.gif

You don't have to be a math whiz to appreciate the heady notions Darren Aronofsky tosses

around in his homemade debut film, "Pi." The movie, made for just $20,000, offers a brash

horror-comic variation on a familiar type, the paranoid wild-eyed genius who is so obsessed

with proving a theory that he goes mad. Before he's finished experimenting on his home

computer (named Euclid, of course), Maximillian Cohen (Sean Gullette), the film's central

character, has shaved his head in order to plug his computer into a specific area of his

brain.

trail.gif

Pi is both the sixteenth letter of the Greek alphabet and the symbol which represents the

world's oldest mathematical mystery: the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter.

pi.gif

The earliest known written record of the ratio comes from 1650 BCE Egypt, where a scribe

calculated the value to be 3.16 (a mere 1% off the true value). Although now, we have

methods to calculate the digits of pi (3.1415...) its exact value remains a mystery.

pi.jpg

Max emerges from a crippling migraine attack to find that his homemade

supercomputer, Euclid appears to have gone insane.

crash.gif

Aronofsky elected to shoot the film in black-and-white, which lends a dream-like

atmosphere to all of the proceedings. p transports us to a world that is like yet unlike our

own, and, in its mysterious familiarity, is eerie, intense, and compelling. Reality is a

fragile commodity, but, because the script is well-written and the central character is

strongly developed, it's not hard to suspend disbelief. As the movie draws to a conclusion,

it perhaps becomes a little too ambitious in trying to unify all the great questions of

existence. At that point, p slides with only limited success into an exploration of

metaphysics and spirituality.

Euclid.jpg

The Golden Spiral is a mystical shape that is an absolute in both abstract mathematics and

chaotic nature. It was first discovered by Phythagoras, a failed Greek messiah and

mathematical cult leader in the 5th century B.C.

The spiral is derived via the golden rectangle, a unique rectangle which has the golden

ratio. When squared, it leaves a smaller rectangle behind, which has the same golden ratio

as the previous rectangle. The squaring can continue indefinitely with the same result. No

other rectangle has this trait.

When you connect a curve through the corners of these concentric rectangles, you have formed

the golden spiral. The Phythagoreans loved this shape for they found it everywhere in

nature: the Nautilus Shell, Ram's horns, milk in coffee, the face of a Sunflower, your

fingerprints, our DNA, and the shape of the Milky Way.

spiranim.gif

My new Hypothesis: If we're built from Spirals while living in a giant Spiral, then is it

possible that everything we put our hands to is infused with the Spiral?"

-- Max Cohen in the motion picture Pi

Chaos Theory can be generally defined as the study of forever-changing complex

systems. Discovered by a meteorologist in 1960, chaos theory contends that complex and

unpredictable results will occur in systems that are sensitive to small changes in their

initial conditions. The most common example of this, known as the "Butterfly Effect," states

that the flapping of a butterfly's wings in China could cause tiny atmospheric changes which

over a period of time could effect weather patterns in New York.

b-fly.gif

dvd.jpg

Pi: The DVD

Purchase the DVD wherever videos are bought and sold.

DVD Features:

- Widescreen Version
- 2.0 Dolby Surround Audio
- Director Commentary Track
- Actor Commentary Track
- Behind the Scenes Montage
- Lost Scenes
- The Music Video
- Digitally Mastered
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
- Theatrical Trailers
- Production Notes
- Cast & Crew Information

You guys HAVE to watch this!!!!!

www.pithemovie.com

I find it so fantastic that your DNA might be in the same shape as your galaxy, the Milky Way......

Perhaps, in other galaxies, the shape of their DNA is the same shape as those other, odd shaped galaxies.....

Originally posted by Phantasm66
I find it so fantastic that your DNA might be in the same shape as your galaxy, the Milky Way......

Perhaps, in other galaxies, the shape of their DNA is the same shape as those other, odd shaped galaxies.....

Perhaps the whole universe is just the DNA of some ANT crawling across some floor......

Alright, this is my new favorite thread!!!

Pi the movie is one of my favorite flicks.. Phantasm where do you find all this stuff and what makes you post it? Is it the power of Pi?

Are you hoping that someone is going to see your posts and provide you with the answers that would help you find a greater meaning of life?

I have had a migraine .

Since then, my doctor put me on an experimental drug for 6 months, every day I felt sick and dizzy and wanted to throw up......

But I have not had a migraine since....

The last one I had, I felt like someone had got 2 white hot needles and thrust them into both of the pupils of my eyes......

Seering, intense agony that lasted for about 9 hours....

I have not had one in about ten years now...

I live in (almost) constant fear that I shall have another one....

Sometimes it seems to start and then drug inside me makes it stop....

Originally posted by Phantasm66
I have had a migraine .

Since then, my doctor put me on an experimental drug for 6 months, every day I felt sick and dizzy and wanted to throw up......

But I have not had a migraine since....

The last one I had, I felt like someone had got 2 white hot needles and thrust them into both of the pupils of my eyes......

Seering, intense agony that lasted for about 9 hours....

I have not had one in about ten years now...

I live in (almost) constant fear that I shall have another one....

Sometimes it seems to start and then drug inside me makes it stop....

Are you sure your not talking about yourself here?

Originally posted by svtcobra

Are you sure your not talking about yourself here?

yes.... that's just an aside. watching "Pi" got me to thinking about when I had a migraine....

This is interesting.. Ever since I was a young lad, I wondered about how things seem to revolve around each other...

Electrons could be to atoms as planets are to stars. We may all coexist inside a single pixel in someone's intergalactic-sized, Compaq.

Now that's SCARY.

So Phantasm, can I take a wild stab in the dark as say that you like this movie quite a lot?.... ;)

Saw it before you and was quite impressed also. Did you know the music was arranged by Ken Ishi? You can hear some of his tunes in it also.

although i dont know much about greek mathematicians, I thought that Archemedes was the greatest living teacher of mathematics.

http://www.mcs.drexel.edu/~crorres/Archimedes/contents.html
" Generally regarded as the greatest mathematician and scientist of antiquity and one of the three greatest mathematicians of all time (together with Isaac Newton (English 1643-1727) and Carl Friedrich Gauss (German 1777-1855)). "

I also saw an interesting documentary about him and his work on UK TV about a month ago. Apparently there are some writings of his which have only recently been discovered, which when deciphered will bring a whole new light onto the way we look at maths....

Originally posted by Arris
So Phantasm, can I take a wild stab in the dark as say that you like this movie quite a lot?.... ;)

Well, not as much as "The Empire Strikes Back" ,etc, but its a film that I do like quite a bit and I thought would, judging on some of its themes, be appealing to the computer heads here at 3DS.

Cool posts Phantasm - not only interesting but beautifully done as well (you're perfecting the art of layout in this format.:D)

Never heard of the movie, but now I just must see it.

No I haven't seen this movie but I do plan to buy it (Hopefully) before I go home when I finish my First Semester Year 2 at Uni :).

ss1.

I just watched the movie a week or so ago, and forgot to reply to this thread, but here it is.

The movie was very strange, but I enjoyed it thouroughly. It was well done for a homemade movie on a small budget. The concepts in it were amazing, just knowing that there are people out there like that is incredible.

I would recommend watching if you like computers or math in general.

Back