pick me out a videocard...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayno20

I am in the market for a video card (PCI-E) i need to be able to buy it from dell.com... it has to be an ATI, it has to support SM 3.0 and i'd like for it to be under 250.00... im kind of new to the whole video card thing so please explain anything u can while making suggestions...

i can't imagine the advantage, if any, of buying from dell.com unless you need a specialized card (low-profile cars are sold elsewhere). i reccomend checking out tigerdirect.com and newegg.com

you're going to need to give us your system's detailed specs (include PSU ratings), your OS, and what you aspire to do with the new card (games, softwares you plan on running). without this information, i can't really tell you anything except to stick with good brands - gigabyte, asus, msi, ati, bfg (incomplete list, but more than enough variety there)

well the computer has a 3.0GHZ HT processoer 1 gig ram, and its windows xp, i want to game with it... i need to buy from dell cause i have credit there... it doesnt have to be tip top of the line video card, but something decent for under 250.00

For around $20 more, u can get this card which is the creme-de-la-creme of today's cards. I have two 512MB versions in Crossfire and they rip through any game maxed out as if it were paper. However, if u want a cheaper but severely crippled version of the same card (since u still want a Radeon), consider this card. But the latter is seriously weak though and gets beaten by this card very easily, so I would recommend getting that instead of the Radeon. It's an NVIDIA card but it's really great and the best in the $200 price range.

What current card do u have? Also, are u sure u have PCi-E?
Assuming u do have PCI-E, there won't be any problems in switching and so this card would be a better choice. It's the exact same card as the one u have posted, although there's a $10 price difference for some reason. Probably got something to do with the clocks I suppose. But anyways, from what I've heard the KO is the more stable one, since the CO has some heat-related problems due to the OCing. So get the KO and play it safe I guess.

alright, yeah i do have pcie im sure, i have an ati x300 right now i will probably be going with that nvidia card unless anyone has something to add.. i want it to be able to play current games at decent setttings

jayno20 said:
I am in the market for a video card (PCI-E) i need to be able to buy it from dell.com... it has to be an ATI, it has to support SM 3.0 and i'd like for it to be under 250.00... im kind of new to the whole video card thing so please explain anything u can while making suggestions...

You'll save money if you buy elsewhere. May I suggest Newegg.com if you reside in the US. Dell tends to overprice many things.

Yup, 7900 will walk all over that X1600. Just be sure your power supply is up to handling that card. Otherwise, reboot or BSOD city!

Ooh that X1950PRO is definitely more powerful than the 7900GT, but much more pricey though. If u can afford it, then go for it I say. Otherwise, the 7900GT is the next best one.

ok so the x1950 is the way to go then? from dell its actually 10 dollars cheaper than the 7900gt... so i should go with the x1950 pro then?

That may be pushing it. Generally, power supplies that come in pre-built machines tend to lower in quality. Depending on what else you have in your system, you may not have enough amps on the 12 volt line to power that card. You can go here to find out how many watts you need for your system. I can probably take a guess and say it will come out in the 350 to 400 watt range. I would aim a bit higher than what you need, so you don't over tax the psu. This is a good, inexpensive power supply.

that site makes it out to be 319watts with the x1950 video card... so does that mean i'd be ok? i'd rather not buy a psu unless i HAVE to..

Can you take a look inside your computer and read the sticker on the bottom of the power supply? Look for the amps on the 12+v line(s) asnd lets us know what it says.

I think that may be pushing it. A new PSU shouldn't cost u too much. Fortron FSP and Antec have 450W ones available for around $40-50.

If your old PSU is a standard ATX one, any normal PSU from Antec or Fortron for example should fit perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back