pinging

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragez0r

umm.. this might be a dumb question but.. i just wanna make sure my knowledge about pinging is accurate.. when u ping someone.. and u get a responce.. it means their pc is on and they are online.. right ???

and how would u know if your pinging the right pc ? if they were lets say on a router ???

thank u for your time

when u ping someone.. and u get a responce.. it means their pc is on and they are online..
yep. Although it wont mean that you may not have network problems connecting..

and how would u know if your pinging the right pc?
you would need to know the IP address or the name of the machine. You can check this (on their machine) by doing a ipconfig command

generaly, although most people have differences of oppinion, if static IP addresses are used:
x.x.x.1 = router/internet gateway
x.x.x.2 = 1st pc (usualy connected directly to the router)
x.x.x.3 = 2nd pc etc...

where the x.x.x.1 is for example 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1 etc..

alright, so if the last digits are 246... how can i tell if this is the ip of the internal network or the ip address on the internet ??
the person im pinging tells me they are always offline yet, i get a ping reply.. so.. am i missing something here ???

If its just a small/home network, chances are the IP addresses start with 192.168.0.x with subnet mask 255.255.255.0.
Medium-larger sized networks usualy have the 10.0.0.x and subnet mask 255.0.0.0. That address could also be comonly used for the broadband/adsl modem's internal IP address.
The internet IP address depends on what your ISP gives you.. and they usualy have a pool of numbers to choose from, and some are static, others automatic.

The last digit(s) on the address just signifies a independant machine type of thing.. Its like a house address, say, 32 Somewhere Avenue, Nowheresville.

The 32 is like the 192.168.0.32. The rest of it is the address: somewhere ave etc. So the last digits you mentioned means nothing without knowing the whole address.. but dont post it here if its not the 10. or 192. numbers, just in case :)

As i said, you may be able to ping something, but whether you can connect to it or unless you know the exact IP address is another step of troubleshooting. It could be that the ethernet adaptor with that address is on standby mode or something, and hence you can "talk" to it, but the machine can be off or on i'm not sure.

you can try opening up IE or explorer, and typing the IP address in there.. if you have the passwords and such for the other pc...

Good start for reading up on it is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address

anything behide a router that is configured for the non-routable subnets;

• 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
    172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
    192.168.0.0 192.168.255.255
can not be pinged. you may get to the router and maybe you'll get a reply (it's configurable)

for anyone with a registered domain name,
nslookup domain.name -> ip-address
nslookup ip-address -> better be the same domain.name

whois domain.name will report the registration information

k well i told that person to go to a website that shows your ip address .. so that is their ip.. now how can the person set a pw or find out their ip, thats interesting
what do i have access to ? cuz that person cannot access the router...

right now.. i pinged, got a ping responce.. then i past their ip into the address bar and got a no valid page thingy..

Tell the person to click <start> <run> in the epmty field

type cmd.exe

then type ipconfig

This will tell you the everything you will need to know.

yeah, i remember ipconfig.... but how does that tell me how to connect to the ip ? and when i do ipconfig to myself, all i see is the router address'es.. 192 etc.. and subnet mask 255.etc
no internet ip.. and mine starts with 78.. so how does that tell me everythign.. sorry.. just curious

okay, now thisll sound dumb ..the person i was pinging told me that a storm knocked out the internet.. so technically even if the ethernet shouldnt give a ping responce right ? ... i pinged the 192 address.. no responce (but i shouldnt get 1 right ?) cuz thats the network address... so i pinged the ip that starts with 206.. and i got a responce while they claimed that they had no internet

im confused, i mean i think i caught this person lying, but im not sure...

i'm at a loss of what you're trying to to here..

are you trying to ping a person on your local network or through the internet?
if its on the local network and you know the addresses then if his pc is offline then its offline unless theres a device that masks the pining..

if its on the net then unless his ISP gave him a static IP address then chances are, unless he was online for that whole session that you got his IP address from then its most likely that you got someone else's address, since ISPs have a pool of IP addressess to connect pcs to..

Are you trying to connect to someone on a LAN, or over the INet? Are they in the same building as you?
If you get a ping response you can try opening run from start and typing cmd. This brings up the command line where you should the try typing:
\\friend's ip here\c$
Obviously repace friend's IP here with your friend's IP. If life's gonna be easy you'll either open an explorer window which shows you the root of your friend's c: partition, or you'll get an authentication box asking for a username and password. By the sounds of it though, you're likely to have more trouble with connecting.

Why exactly do you want to if you don't mind me asking?

sorry i wasnt clear
i told them to go on a whats my ip website
and i got 203.87.200.xxx, now i ping this ip address when they told me they had no internet to test something, and i got a responce, so either im doing somethign wrong.. or theres a lie somewhere... which makes me wonder but anyhow... also ill attach a jpg of the ipconfig that u told me.. of course i had to bar out some things to protect the privacy of this individual.. i of course do not see the ip address from the website on the ipconfig results.. so im curious of theres some mistake... am i pinging the right address ? thank u

type netstat at the command prompt and it'll give you a list of all connected IP addresses. From this list you can ID the one you're looking for. If you have trouble with this please post a pic of it as you did with IP config.

Nevermind, did both... but it doesnt tell me much... I cannot find that persons ip even tho we were chatting on yahoo at the time so....

thx for your help thus far

Attachments

• my-netstat.jpg
    my-netstat.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 5
  • fem-netstat..jpg
    fem-netstat..jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 5
Sorry, this parts beyond me now.. there's only so much i know about networking so probably hang on for Lekki or others to see what they say...

but my theory to answer to your yahoo thing, it could be just routing your chat through yahoo's server, which is present on both your screenshot..

k thx... i just wanna know wats that persons ip address.. cuz when they go to an ip address website.. they get this ip address that... well is on constantly
even when the laptop is off... just odd...

k how about this, how do i just find that persons real ip address.. cuz i think when that person goes to a "wats my ip" website.. its inacurate....

If you use the switch -n with netstat it'll give you ip addresses:
netstat -n
If you compare the ip adresses with the corrosponding url/unc addresses when you just use netstat without the switch you should be able to narrow it down to the one you want. If you're in conversation with your friend though, you could just as easily ask them to run cmd and type ipconfig to find out what theirs is at the time.
btw in case you can't figure which ip goes with which unc/url then you should refference the port number used by the address. That's the four digit number after your computer name down the left side of the display. Example:
Helios:1847.

ragez0r said:
k how about this, how do i just find that persons real ip address.. cuz i think when that person goes to a "wats my ip" website.. its inacurate....

You're not at work by any chance are you? If you are then you're probably on a LAN, so the what's my IP site might just be feeding you your server's IP. If you are attempting this from a network, I'd advise you just forget about it myself, but if it's for some important purpose, you might try asking your network admin what they can do to help you.

well the person im chatting with goes to a university and the whole campus shares a wireless connection.. so thats why its so tricky... but she sais shes always on the same ip address..... but the ip address is always online even when she offs her laptop.. so thats why its strange, and i want to connect to her pcanywhere that she installed for me.... but in order to get that done, i need to find her ip address.. her real 1... so thats my dilema... well ill ask her to do the netstat -n thing in dos.. ill paste it up here and u can tell me if u see anything.. i really appreciate ur help btw...

well the person im chatting with goes to a university and the whole campus shares a wireless connection.. so thats why its so tricky... but she sais shes always on the same ip address..... but the ip address is always online even when she offs her laptop..
I'm guessing that could be the problem in the first place. The Uni's network is masking the identity of the IP address since its going through some sort of firewall/gateway device(s). Get her to ask the system admin/IT group in charge of the campus' i.net connections to see if they can give her one that can connect to the outside world.

Or you could try getting her to connect to you.... (although i dont have a clue how/if that would work)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back