Pioneer DVR109 audio problems - how come!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordzen

greetings,

I'm hoping some crew here can help me diagnose a problem I'm getting of late:

I have a Pioneer DVR-RW 109 (with firmware update 1.17) - i flashed it ages ago when i first bought it and it's always worked fine.

Now all of a sudden I get real crap audio coming out when i playbaqck dvd's - the audio is all clipped and popped (the kind of sound you get if the audio buffer is set too small in audio aps). The picture is fine though.

1 - I know its not a problem with my soundcard because all other audio/video files play fine & the audio is good. The only audio that sounds crap is that coming off my dvd-drive.

2 - I dont think the drive itself is faulty: I tested it today on a friend's computer, to try and isolate the problem, but it worked fine on his computer. (doh)

3 - I've tried to unistall the latest programs i'd installed. One of these was DVDShrink/Encrypter, which i used to try & copy a dvd of mine. That was roundabout the time when the audio problem first came up.

4 - I have unistalled and reinstalled drivers for the Pioneer (from device manager) & have tried playing the DVD with other programs (Nero Showtime, Mediaplayer, etc) but stil get the problem.....

Can anyone offer some suggestion or advice? :dead:

Am not sure that its a hardware problem and was wondring what kind of software issue could be causing this? I havent installed any new hardware so no shared IRQs etc.

Could i have stuffed some settings around using the DVDShrink or Dvd-Encrypter program?

Thanks,
J

Here are some specs:

Windows XP-pro SP1
Intel P4 (2.8Ghz), Gigabyte Mobo (GA-8IPE1000 Pro2),
Pioneer DVR-RW 109 (1.17 firmware - did long ago)
1Gb RAM (DDR400)
Soundcard: M-Audio Delta-1010
Graphic-card: Asus Radeon 9600SE

for starters.. look to see if there is an updated firmware for it...

maybe clean the drive with one of those dvd/cd cleaner thingys and chekc that the dvd you're trying to play is in good condition.. try with different dvds to see if it works or not..

run with minimal apps running in the background, and while you're at it scan for nasties..

dont think dvdshrink or encrypter would have any effect on this.. unless you tinkered something that had "warning, altering these functions may effect your device" or somethng..

Hey thanks a lot for your reply!

i had already done all the things you suggested, except for searching for the newer firmware update (didnt realize you could flash it twice!)

I've installed the version 1.58 firmware update from the Pioneer website: here's the link: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/0,,2076_4273_128163990,00.html

And now IT WORKS FINE AGAIN!!! so Thanks a lot! :haha: :bounce:

However, i want to make sure I dont screw it up again. Is it ok for me to use DVD shrink (v. 3.2) and DVD Decrypter? Last time i used it there were no messages such as "warning, altering these functions may effect your device", yet that's when my audio started crapping out.

Someone please let me know before i go and reinstall them
(and thanks again dude!)
J.

they should be ok to run.. the only forseeable problems that could surface would be software compatability issues.. but i dont think that should have any bearings with you.... i've got dvd shrink somewhere on this pc but havnt got around to use it yet....

that warning advice is usualy dug somewhere in the options/advanced options.. for eg, nero has it somewhere in its options about overburning cds or something......

firmware updates are just updates.. just like wiping a cd-rw and puting a better newer versions of whatever was tehre.. you can do it many many times, and unlike cds its solid state, so it wont have much of a lifespand problem apart from the usual dead IC etc...

The problem is BACK! :*(

Hi, its me again.

I am having exactly the same, above-described, problem again with my Pioneer DVR-109! :(

It plays dvd images fine, but the audio from DVDs and CD's is full of distortion and crackles.

The way it started: i was watching a DVD and the image froze so i force quit Nero. After i restarted, i had the noise problem. Its not just a case of Nero - the problem occurs also on other apps, Winamp, VLC, etc...

The last time I had this problem I fixed it by installing the latest firmware update: v. 1.58.

But now I dont think there are any more firmware updates for the DVR-109!!!

Can anyone tell me if there is a firmware update?

Or any other suggestions?

J.

EDIT: ive updated my soundcard drivers but i dont think its a problem with the soundcard as the AUDIO is fine when i play mp3's or anything not on the Pioneer.

EDIT: ive uninstalled the Pioneer and reinstalled it: still no luck

are there any driver updates for the DVR-109? where should i look?

help!?

OMFG i solved the problem!!!

took me all frigging day to work this out and i thought i'd post here to let you know what the problem was.

The secondary IDE channel (in this case my DVR) had reverted to PIO mode instead of running in DMA. Why you ask? **** knows! After much strife and bookmarking and forum whoring I found this page which saved my life.

It explains how certain repeated read errors can reset your drive into PIO mode. To fix this you need to go into the REGISTRY and delete the checksum values to restore DMA mode.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=142073 <<< LINKIES

woot! i feel human again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back