Pixel Shader 1.1 Incompatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Smoker

Hello everyone.

I recently bought Black & White 2, a somewhat outdated game. I install the game, go to run it, and I get an error message saying my video card isn't compatible with pixel shader 1.1 . I'm currently using an nvidia geforce4 mx420 card, my OS is windows xp, i've got 1024 RAM and a pent 4 processor.

I consulted the readme file, which directed me to update the driver. I've spent the last hour or so looking for the correct driver download, and for the life of me I can't find it.

Is there anything else I can do to get this game running? And if not, what are some good medium-range cards I should look into?

P.S. I'm aware people usually ask for information about the motherboard and such, but I'm not entirely computer literate and don't know how to find this info.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Hi and welcome to Techspot :)

First uninstall any old driver files you may have. Go to Add/Remove programs in Control Panel, and look for something like "Nvidia display driver"

Then install this driver (click me and try again.

Regards =)

Your card does not have a hardware feature that alas the games requires. You cannot emulate it in software, all you have left to do is buy another card.

A good cheap card for your PC that would run B&W 2 nicely would be the 7600GS or a 7600GT, like this and this. You might need a PSU (Power Supply Unit) upgrade though. Open up your case and post a screenshot or type out the information from the power supply's sticker. This is how a typical PSU sticker looks. (thanks kirock! :))

Wait a second...

why is it my Geforce 2 MX400 on my old computer support pixel shader 1.1 AND 2???(I have a Geforce 8500 GT now)

The GeForce MX series had support for SM1.1 (vertex) through hardware-assisted software emulation in older drivers such as the 53.xx series and the like. Try downloading 53.04 from here and see if it makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back