Place to Buy New Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timvu83

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows of a good website to purchase a new desktop? I'm a casual gamer who likes games such as Battlefield, WoW, and Bioshock. I also do the usual surfing, music downloading, and movie watching. I don't have much time or knowledge to build a new PC (although I know it will be cheaper) and I want a reformatting disk so that I can clean my computer ever now and them. I got this quote from Gateway and wanted to see if you think its a good deal or if there is another website out there?

Gateway® FX530B 1014391R 1 $1,030.98 $1,030.98
Instant Discount (reflected in unit price, limited-time offer) -$100.00
System Components
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (32-bit)
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (2.40GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 8MB cache)
1024MB 667MHz Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2-512MB modules)
160GB 7200rpm Serial ATA II/300 hard drive w/ 8MB cache
16X Super MFDVDRW/DVD-RAM+/-R Double Layer
48x/32x/48x CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
NVIDIA® GeForce 7600GT
9-in-1 Memory Card Reader
No Speakers Selected
Microsoft® Works Suite 2006 - including Microsoft® Word and Encarta (DVD) [$39.99]
Cyberlink Power2Go (for Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium and Ultimate)
Gateway® 7-bay BTX tower case
Intel® 975X Chipset with DDR2 Support and Intel® Core™ Duo support
FX Logo Accent - Black Steel
(3) PCI Expansion Slots, (1) PCI-E x4 Expansion Slot, (1) PCI-E x16 Expansion Slot.
(7) USB 2.0 (2 in front, 1 in media card reader and 4 in back), (3) IEEE 1394 Firewire (2 in front and 1 in back), (2) PS/2, (1) Microphone, front audio ports
90-day America Online® Internet access
Gateway® Elite Keyboard (Genuine Windows Vista® Certified)
Intel® 975X Chipset with DDR2 and Intel® Core™ Duo support
No Mouse Selected [-$15.00]
Integrated Intel® 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Backup Media (32-bit)
700-Watt Power Supply
McAfee® 90-day Internet Security Suite Complimentary Subscription with VirusScan, Personal Firewall Plus, SpamKiller & Privacy Service v. 1.2 (for Genuine Windows Vista®)
End User License Agreement for Non-Microsoft Software
1 Year Value Plan (Tech Support - Parts - Factory Labor)

Thanks.

If you like games like Bioshock , Crysis , and newer games than go with 8800 series video card rather then 7600 series. Other than that everything looks good. Oh yes and get at least 2 GB Ram. It will be little bit extra money but will go long way in a future.

Yea, definitely would want an 8800 for Crysis. But don't plan on running it full, no one can. and i second the 2gb of RAM especially with Vista, i have 1gb in my gaming rig and Vista ultimate, as soon as i can get 4gb i am.

Vista requires quite a bit more power in the RAM department than most OS's due to it's lovely pictures and graphics and blinky what-nots... Anyhow, The computer itself seems fine, more RAM a definite. I love RAM... Too bad I only have 512MB

Hey if you have a little bit of technical knowledge (you only need a little bit) You might want to check out Cyberpowerpc.com They have plenty of custom and pre built desktops that you can customize to yourself.

Also if you get Vista they offer the 64 bit version that can handle up to 4GB of RAM. (As far as I know it is the only OS that can utilize over 2GB) My friend just got a laptop from them and it was the best price for what he got, pretty competitive products. Check it out!

OOPs Plus you can choose what extra programming you want. They supply a restore disk AND all of the program disks seperatly (a real plus for re-installing) and they don't have all of the manufacturer bundled programing either. Which is a definite plus for me.

Thanks to All

Thanks to everyone who replied. I actually went to cyberpowerpc.com (thanks Optikal Fuzion)and got their mega speacial deal. I upgraded to the 8800 GT and the computer came with 2 GB RAM.

Forgot that the 8800 GT needed 420 watts of power to run at full capacity. Should I replace the power power supply?

Total Price: $1026.00 with free shipping
CAS: ATX MEDIUM TOWER CASE 350 WATT [-26] (BEIGE COLOR)
CASUPGRADE: NONE
CS_FAN: Default case fans
CPU: (Sckt775)Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo E6550 CPU @ 2.33GHz 1333FSB 4MB L2 Cache 64-bit
CD: (Special Price) 18X DVD+/-R/+/-RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BEIGE COLOR)
CD2: NONE
CABLE: None
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BEIGE COLOR)
FREEBIE_CU1: FREE Game! Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
FREEBIE_CU2: FREE! CyberPower Multi-Purpose Carrying Briefcase ($19.99 Value)
FREEBIE_CU3: FREE! Cyberpower Unleash The Power T-Shirt ($19 Value)
FAN: INTEL LGA775 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK
FREEBIE_VC2: None
FLOPPY: NONE
HDD: Single Hard Drive (200GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-17])
HDD2: NONE
IEEE_CARD: NONE
KEYBOARD: PS2 MULTIMEDIA INTERNET CONTROL KEYBOARD (BEIGE COLOR [-3])
MOUSE: NONE [-5]
MODEM: NONE
MONITOR: NONE
MONITOR2: NONE
MOTHERBOARD: (Quad-Core FSB1333) Asus P5N-E nForce 650i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
OS: Microsoft(R) Windows Vista(TM) Home Basic [+89] (32-bit Edition)
PRO_WIRING: None
PRINTER: None
PRINTER_CABLE: None
POWERSUPPLY: STANDARD CASE POWER SUPPLY
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
SOFT: Microsoft(R) OFFICE(R) 2007 BASIC EDITION [+159]
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS 24/7 LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: 3D WAVE ON-BOARD 5.1 SOUND CARD
SPEAKERS: NONE [-5]
TEMP: NONE (AS SHOWN)
TVRC: None
USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
UPS: None
USBHD: NONE
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express [+165] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
VIDEO2: NONE
VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
WNC: NONE

I don't think there will be any harm in replacing the power supply. If you are building a PC you plan on keeping (obviously you are) then you are better off to upgrade it now with the purchase especially for your video card. But as always it is up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back