plagued by pop-ups, adult friend finder etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

leystow

Hi guys
-this does seem like a very informative site and I hope someone may be able to help me
-I have been plagued by pop ups like ad.firstadsolution, 888.com, adultfriend finder etc etc
-I have run also sortos of spyware, blasters, ad removers but nothing seems to work!
-tried adaware se, avg anti-spyware,spyware guard, zonealarm.....they all reckon to do the business + all fail miserably! :-(

-heres hoping, all the best

Leystow

here is my hijack log:

it's probably because ur using IE as ur browser. Switch to Mozilla Firefox or Opera and you'll see the difference. Get them here and this.
Also, what exactly happens when u run Ad-Aware/Spybot?

re pop ups etc

-thanks, rage, but I admit I know v.little re computers + just want to run what I am used to ....with all its faults!

ad-aware/spybot etc found some stuff, but didn't make any real difference to the persistent pop-ups etc
-also, machine seems to be runnung slow, taking ages to load pages etc, don't know if that is part of the same problem......

If you want to stick with what you are used too then get used to all the adware and popups and hijacks.

Adaware, AVG, spybot etc are great at removing the stuff once it gets in .... unfortunatelly you are leaving all the doors open for more to come in and some of those hijacks once in never leave.

Sad to say but you will have to, as they say, suck it up and either deal with it or learn something new.

Oh - when you finally do install Firefox, I recomend adding Adblock and enabling the TABs feature .... once you start to use those you will wonder why you ever used ie in the first place ;)

If you insist on staying with ie then I recomend at the very least adding the Maxthon front end found here and enabling what security features it has. Its not much but it is something.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your version of HJT is out of date.

Go and read the Trojan Pakes and other nasties preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of leystow only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

adult friend finder pop ups etc

Hi Howard

many thanks for the welcome and the advice/instructions

I'm pretty much a novice at this sort of stuff, but I must say your 'how to' tutorials made it a lot easier for me!

As far as I can tell, I have done everything to the letter in the 'Trojan Pakes and other etc etc' section. Last I hope I have!

Thanks for all your help, regards

Ley

Here is my hijack log as an attachment and the ad-aware log, although ad-aware did not find anything.View attachment hijackthis log file1991.txt

View attachment 9843

Please rename HijackThis.exe to HijackThis1991.exe and post a fresh HJT log. You should also move HJT to it`s own directory as in these instructions HERE.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of leystow only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hi Howard

-this is when I start to struggle....
-have moved Hijack this to program files#
-I have re-named the file Hijackthis1991
-i'm not really clear if that means in doing that I have re-named the exe file
-if I haven't, how do you do that?
-have posted my latest HJT log in the hope I have done it corrrectly
-thanks

LeyView attachment 9861

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

Gram Film.exe
nurb peak.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [log curb delete grim] "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\HeckViewLogCurb\Gram Film.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TrustBits] "C:\DOCUME~1\JEFFHI~1\APPLIC~1\plussoap\nurb peak.exe"

O16 - DPF: {AE9DCB17-F804-11D2-A44A-0020182C1446} (IntraLaunch.MainControl) - file://D:\SuperCD\IntraLaunch.CAB

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\DOCUME~1\JEFFHI~1\APPLIC~1\plussoap
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\HeckViewLogCurb

Reboot into normal mode, turn system restore back on and rehide your protected OS files.

Post a fresh HJT log and let me know if you`re still having any problems.

plagued by etc

Hi Howard

followed your instructions.....
so far, no problems at all!

Its like having a new computer back, pages load, can move from site to site....the thing is running so much faster....I asume the pop-ups slow the whole thing down?

Here is my fresh HJT log

Does it look ok now?

How does one get these gremlins in the first place? I was running firewalls and anti virus software, everything up to date.

Thanks for all your help.

This is easily the best site I have found for giving advice and help, so thank you very much.
I think perhaps you should have some sort of 'donations' page or something, as I and I'm sure many others, would be very happy to do something, even if it went to a charity of tour guys choice. Just a thought.

Regards and thanks

Ley

Your HJT log is clean.

Despite having antivirus and firewall software installed, it`s easy to get trojans etc, sometimes all you have to do is visit a website and the malware will download itself onto your computer.

It really is a case of trying to be as careful as possible when surfing. This includes making sure you type urls correctly as there are many dodgy websites just waiting for a mis-spelled url.

Take a look at this thread HERE. It`ll give you some useful info on how to keep your system more secure.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Finally, thankyou for your kind words. Techspot is a commercial website paid for from advertising. Therefore donations aren`t necessary.

You can help Techspot by clicking on our advertising links and of course trying to help out on the forums where possible.

plagued by pop-ups etc

Hi Howard

thanks for the link re preventing this from happening again, or at least trying to minimise the chances.

thanks once more for your help on this, you guys really are doing a great job, + I've probably learnt more over the last few days than the last few years.

Regards

Ley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back