Planning to Upgrade Laptop - Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I just recently got a new laptop - a Toshiba Satellite S355. I bought it from Best Buy -.-, and the guy who helped me out lied about loads of stuff. Its not too bad, but I need better.

Well, some specs are:

Intel Pentium M processor 1.86GHz
1.32GHz, 1024 MB of RAM

Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family

I tried playing Counter-Strike on it, and it lags sooo much. I can only imagine what would happen if I tried to play Half-Life 2 or some other games. It doesn't have a floppy drive, which I need. And I can't plug in a mouse or keyboard -.-. Anyway, I'm gonna use this laptop for graphics (photoshop), gaming (hl2, counter-strike, doom 3, etc.), and for other various media functions. Please help me by listing some possibilities for upgrades.

well, i wouldnt get a laptop for gaming cause your not going to get the best out of your moneys worth next to a regular pc, but i dont know if i can fix your lag problem ill be back to edit his post so i can help out a lil more but im in a hurry so i cant really look into it much now nice to see more new members :)

One problem i see with trying to game on a laptop is the 4200 PRM (or is it 4500RPM) standard hard drives that come with them, this is going to cause your hdd access time to be a bit slower causing some lag.

I myself have an hp xp2100 with 256MB ram and can play the game sacred pretty well.

IF your system is a 1.8ghz and 1024MB ram then you shouldn't be lagging much, have you turned your graphic settings down to low?

you may also want to do a defrag on the system, run some spyware apps to remove any of the bad stuff. also see what else is running on the box, stop anything that doesn't need to be running including printer/scanner drivers.

thanks. I have a desktop that is pretty good, but I travel a lot, so I want my games to go with me. I don't know why it does this, but when I play starcraft - broodwar, and if I'm idle for about 10 seconds, the screen changes color (inverted?). Anyway, just little problems like that annoy me. Thanks for your help, and hopefully I get more support from other members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back