PLayed with jumpers, now i am ddead

Status
Not open for further replies.

chessonly

PLayed with jumpers, now i am dead

I was just playing with jumpers. and changed there their position to c what happens. On switching on the comp nothing happened, even the boot screen did not show . So i reset the changes i had made to the jumpers and now everything was working fine.
However after restarting my pc (switching off the power as well)
my mouse didn't work, pressing a key resulted in loud sounds from the cpu, and i couldn't acces the bios, though though the computer booted fine and i see the windows 'user welcome' screen.

Now, i have to use this workaround to start my comp everytime.

Chane the jumpers , power on and wait till i get the horrible noise, then switch off. Change jumpers back to original position and then finally reboot. This works but the bios gets reset everytime and i get his something like this.

cmos batteryfailed
warning your cpu has changed
enter cpu speed in cmos and save before exiting.

So basically i have to switch the jumpers twice, in order to boot.
Jumpers:
1 -near the cpu, i don't thnk this is causing probs.
2-near a pci slot, changing this gives me the blankscreen
3. near the cmos batterty and bios.

My pc:
PIII 550Mhz, award bios , 256mb Ram, xp, Procomp BST1B-E mobo .

All comments, help are welcome.
P.S i have updated my bios as well- still doesn't work. plz read my 3rd post- i have really nailed the problem.

I suggest you get the model number of your motherboard, and go find the user manual. It will tell you exactly what the jumpers do. If you already know what they do, then you should know in what position they should be in.

The one by the CPU I would guess may be a FSB jumper. The one by the battery, a CMOS clean jumper, and the one by PCI slot, perhaps a default video jumper? Do you have onboard video as well as a card? Or perhaps that is USB voltage jumper?

Obtain thee a manual

er i was total newbie when i got the my comp, so the manual got lost!
But here is a screenshot from a diagnostic utility.
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1989/motherboard3ks.png

About my mobo:
Motherboard ID 07/24/2000-SiS-630-6A6IRPNAC-00
Motherboard Name Procomp BST1B

Edit:
Nailed the problem :)
The compuer works perfectly as long as i don't Powerdown, restarting works fine.
Its the second jumper(near pci) that needs to switched and reswitched to make things right. Other jumpers need not be touched.

Can anyone just confirm if its a jumper problem or cld it be battery problem or mobo problem.

Thanks

Where did you get this board? I have searched online and can not find any english sites that relate to this board.

from what it sounds like the process you are going through is using the clear cmos jumper settings, Normally if you hit the power button with the clear cmos jumper set to enabled it will turn on the after about 5-10 seconds shut back off, I have never heard any loud processor noises, unless you are talking about a BIOS post error beep code...

after you move the jumper back and reboot the second time does your system come up saying CMOS CHECKSUM ERROR press F1 to enter setup or press F2 to resume? if so which option are you going with??? opt to go into bios and load failsafe settings and reboot your box. sounds like your bios settings are getting hosed your CMOS battery may be going bad. may want to replace it.

I should have added, the company has stopped making motherboards.
i got my update from http://www.treiberupdate.de/treiber-download/download-23837-treiber-Procomp-Procomp BST1B-E.html.

The Noise : its like a drrrrrrr comes from the cpu speaker
I get F1 to continue, del to setup.

Update: i removed the second jumper all together, this makes everything right(no weird noises), but the bios loses settings on every power down/ power on. I guess this makes the 2 jumper the cmos jumper.

Funny thing happened- i went around my friends for a spare battery, came back empty, booted my comp without realizing that there was no battery!! and i thought the battery was essential.
Hoping someone can make sense of all this.

The battery is essential in that it keeps your CMOS settings saved while powered down. However there are very few motherboards out there that will refuse to work without a battery. Most will.

Still need to know what that jumper is. Is there any writing around it? Any kind of chart or words? Is it a 2 or 3 prong jumper?

Download CPUZ from www.cpuid.com and see what it has to say about your motherboard.
Did you end up replacing the battery?

Chances are good, if the jumpers are where they used to be before originally moving them, there is some kind of BIOS settings that need to be changed. And things may just go back to normal.

nope the battery didn't get replaced and now i have lostthe old one as well :p
Chances are good, if the jumpers are where they used to be before originally moving them, there is some kind of BIOS settings that need to be changed. And things may just go back to normal.

Now that sounds logical. I removed the jumpers, thus resetting the bios and removing those essential setting in bios that is required. But then y does fail-safe doesn't work.
tried cpuid :not much here- http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/116/motherboardcpuid3xx.png

I'll get battery from somewhere and then get back to u guys

Got my magnify glass out and found treasure

Jumper info:
second jumper (near the pci) :JP9 - 1-2 clear cmos
Third jumper(near battery) :JP6 - 1-2 socket370
2-3 slot1

Found the battery as well, and its working. I know this coz i felt a current when I put it in my mouth(metal is tasty) :eek:

not trying to be smug but there's a pragmatic approach to working on
ANYTHING that goes
"If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it"​
The other one from Big Blue customer engineering was
Take a call .. make a call​
which implies once you touch the machine, it's likely to need service later,
even from a professional

Mr Murphy seems to lurk everywhere

Well that about does it then. You sure you didn't get those jumpers backwards? I would think the socket/slot jumper would be by PCI and CMOS clear by the battery. But ok.

Obviously you DON'T want the 2nd jumper set to 1-2 "clear CMOS". So take the jumper out from there.

The 3rd one, however, may be the key. It should be easy to set, do you have a socket or slot CPU? If it's a socket CPU, it'll be square with a heatsink and fan on it. If it's a slot CPU, it'll be skinny and long about 4 inches or so with a fan on the side.

You can get a battery from Radio Shack for a few bucks, usualy it's a CR2032. If needs be.

You sure you didn't get those jumpers backwards?

er, backwards? they looked same to me from all sides. Anyways i have tried all sides, so that shouldn't be the problem. I setup the 3rd Jp as socket370, still no luck.

So basically my system needs new clear bios settings everytime. I'll just play around wth bios and try and change my battery. Its 00:30 right now so i'll do that in the morning.
THANK you guys, i have learned a lot!

ANYTHING that goes
"If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it"

True, true, but look at it this way -
From not knowing anything abt jumpers, in one day i have 'working knowledge' about them.
I know the little text on motherboard actually means something.
I got a bios update
It was so much fun.

lol, no I meant backwards from what you said. You said:

"second jumper (near the pci) :JP9 - 1-2 clear cmos
Third jumper(near battery) :JP6 - 1-2 socket370"

I would have thought that clear cmos was near battery and socket370 near the pci. You know, backwards. Oh well.

It is an interresting issue to be sure. Since Fail Safe doesn't make it work, why not try recommended or high performance settings? Can't hurt, cause now you know how to reset the BIOS!

chessonly said:
THANK you guys, i have learned a lot!

True, true, but look at it this way -
From not knowing anything abt jumpers, in one day i have 'working knowledge' about them.
I know the little text on motherboard actually means something.
I got a bios update
It was so much fun.
Great attitude :) If you can tollerate the risk of wiping out working components,
then this will certainly lead to significant OJT (on the job training).

When I was a kid, dad thought I would be a locksmith. I was always opening
up equipment - - and seldom got it back together (always had these spare
parts left over ) ;)

You can be on my team any day, as that's called a CAN DO attitude!

lol, no I meant backwards from what you said.

oh, i thought i had to rotate them 360 degrees, hehe
As for overclocking, i have given it a shot, it was unstable though.

If you can tollerate the risk of wiping out working components

That is one big advantage of having a PIII, and a old motherboard.

5:00 am - waiting for sunrise.

Finally, nailed it. Coincidentally , my mum found the manual by chance(i hadn't even asked her to look for it). That was 2 days ago, today i just gave a thorough read to it, found a fourth jumper controlled the power supply - AT(jumper open) , ATX(jumper short) .

I had AT and it was set for ATX. And how was supposed to know short => connected. So i just removed the jumper and Phew!!:bounce:

One thing still remains though, the jumper was always in the wrong position, -ATX supply!? So how was it working then, maybe a loose connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back