Playing TFC online and Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks. Not sure if this is the correct section - but I'm sure there's someone lurking here who can help me.

I've recently upgraded from W98SE to XP Pro. Everything is fine, hunky dorey - except for one thing.

I tried to play TFC for the first time online @ 56k. Wow - ive never experienced such lag.

Ive disabled / uninstalled Qos - as it was stopping me connecting to any servers - but even tho i connect - i have a ping of around 500-4000. Completely unplayable. Ive reinstalled HL and reran all the patches etc. Still no joy.

It is enough to make me get broadband - ecept it isnt in my area in any form :mad:

My system specs r as follows - in case you spot anything :

Intel HaM v92 modem - driver: 4.12.1.0
Windows XP Pro (fully updated)
AMD Athlon 1000Mhz
512Mb RAM
Nvidia Geforce 2 MX400 64Mb- driver 2.8.3.2
Creative SB Live 5:1

MOBO - MSI K7T Turbo2

Hope you can help me out. Ive spent the last few weeks playing Medal of honour - I was looking forward to playing TFC again. Serves me right for not checking it was still working properly. Its too late now tho - Im too used to XP to go back to 98SE.

Thanks in anticipation

TFCGirl

First off,
:wave::wave:Welcome To 3DSpotlight!:wave::wave:

Gaming and Consoles is the right area to post any questions on, well, Gaming and Consoles. Of course it's the right area :p

Your internet only lags while playing TFC? Odd.

Try playing the original Half-Life, or any other mod that you might have. Lag there too?

It could just be a problem with your ISP. Hover your mouse over the icon in the corner of your screen of your internet connection, see what speed it's at. Normally 56k providers don't actually run @ 56k, depends on the modem @ your ISP that you connect to.

Have you checked 3DSpotLight's Windows XP service tweaks, page 5?
QoS RSVP. Provides network signalling & local traffic control setup functionality for QoS-aware programs & control applets. QoS RSVP (Quality of Service Resource ReServation Protocol) is used to reserve network/internet connection bandwidth when QoS aware processes are active, providing them with more bandwidth as necessary. Should you use such applications then leave this set to Automatic, otherwise set this to Disabled. The amount of bandwidth reserved defaults to 20%, although this can easily be modified (High recommended).
More about this in the old forum

Welcome

Also check out the 3dspotlight Half-Life / TFC / Counter-Strike Tweak Guide you may find something useful in there.
I haven't played about with XP yet but you might also get better performance running in compatibility mode. If its setup the same as windows 2000, right click on the TFC shortcut and click on the compatibility tab and try running in windows 98 compatibility layer.

I take it you have the latest drivers for you modem installed after you put on XP? Did you do an XP upgrade rather than a clean installation from scratch? I am always suspicious of the Microsoft "upgrade" processes and how comprehensive it is, i.e. does it leave a lot of drivers in a state where they are not completely compatible....

From Microsoft's windows XP site:
Attaining fast speeds with a 56 kbps modem
Optimizing data transfer speed

PS:We don't lurk, its something less sinister than lurking ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back