PlayStation 5 gameplay, trailers, and more will be unveiled on Thursday

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Highly anticipated: Are you ready for some PlayStation 5 news, gameplay, and new game reveals? Sony has rescheduled its The Future of Gaming live stream for Thursday. As long as we don't have any more 2020 craziness break out in the next couple of days, we should be good to go for the one-hour event.

On Monday, Sony announced it has rescheduled its PlayStation 5 gameplay reveal for June 11. The company initially slated "The Future of Gaming" live stream for June 4, but in the wake of protests and riots over the death of George Floyd, it decided to put it off for an indefinite period. As things begin to settle back down, Sony feels a one-week postponement is sufficient.

Sony insiders leaked news of the next-generation gameplay showcase last month. Sony later confirmed the rumors, adding that it has more than an hour of content to share during the broadcast. The company also said that this is the first of several presentations planned as the console maker prepares for the PlayStation 5 launch later this year.

The live stream will be welcomed by fans who have been anxiously waiting for news and demonstrations of the new hardware. Until now, there has been a dearth of game information from Team Sony, while Microsoft has fired the first shots in the next-gen console wars.

We did, however, get a quick glimpse of what the PS5 is capable of thanks to Epic. Last month the developer used a PlayStation 5 dev kit to demonstrate some of the new core features of the upcoming Unreal Engine 5. The company said that it had to rewrite certain parts of the game engine to accommodate Sony's speedy SSD.

That tech demo looked spectacular, but it will be nice to see some actual games coming to the system. Sony did not mention any titles it would be showing off during The Future of Gaming live stream. However, there are sure to be plenty of surprises and hype to get the fan base excited.

You can watch The Future of Gaming starting on June 11 at 1pm PDT on PlayStation's YouTube or Twitch channels.

Permalink to story.

I do not think it is Sony ps5 reveal event, more like games presentation and the actual console will be shown end of the month.

I do not think it is Sony ps5 reveal event, more like games presentation and the actual console will be shown end of the month.
If they go off of what they've done in the past, it should also be the reveal. That, and it's implying that it is a reveal by being a little vague. If it was games only, they would (hopefully) be making that clear enough.

And there's only so much you can tease people before it just starts getting annoying lol

Last edited:
Am I the only one who just doesn't care what it looks like? I've never cared what a console looks like. Exclusives and specs are what I buy them for.

High specs enable developers to build better games and since this gen it's pretty even between the two, games are what's going to matter and Microsoft has put most it's games on PC so all Sony need to do is have a decent game line up.

Am I the only one who just doesn't care what it looks like? I've never cared what a console looks like. Exclusives and specs are what I buy them for.

I'm just curious as to what form factor Sony is pursuing after Microsoft clearly went all-in on "engineering first" and copped the Corsair One style. I'm also curious because Sony tends to go for small as can be, then loud as all hell with the fans working overtime to deal with the terrible thermals (see PS4 Pro).

High specs enable developers to build better games and since this gen it's pretty even between the two, games are what's going to matter and Microsoft has put most it's games on PC so all Sony need to do is have a decent game line up.
I care. It's interesting. And if you buy one you'll have to look at it often. I remember thinking the n64 was particularly attractive. The new Xbox is pretty ugly but at least you know what you're gonna be looking at now. But I must admit what it looks like wouldn't stop me buying it if the games, power, price etc were right.

I care. It's interesting. And if you buy one you'll have to look at it often. I remember thinking the n64 was particularly attractive. The new Xbox is pretty ugly but at least you know what you're gonna be looking at now. But I must admit what it looks like wouldn't stop me buying it if the games, power, price etc were right.
This conversation is really cute :). I owned every PS and will own this one too, no doubt. Sometimes, I'd like to be able to care as much as you guys ;-).

loud as all hell with the fans working overtime to deal with the terrible thermals (see PS4 Pro).
I mean, I have a PS4 Pro, I've played many hours on it and at no point did the fan get loud. Admittedly, the first thing I did with the console was open it up and liquid metal and better thermal pads. Even so, I know plenty of people who never opened there's up and I've never heard them say the console is loud?
You'll have to look at it often.
I mean, when I'm playing games, I tend to be looking at the TV for 99.9% of the time. I found it extremely difficult to play, well any game, while staring at the console.

All joking aside though, Most consoles since their inception have been ugly and annoying form factors (disks/cartridges in the top are annoying, Original Xbox was ugly as examples). I still don't get what people are expecting or why anyone is so interested in what it looks like? The only thing I can assume is because Microsoft went for a different design for the first time in 15 years and now everyone's expecting Sony to also do something similar?

Admittedly, the first thing I did with the console was open it up and liquid metal and better thermal pads.

That's WAY beyond the scope of 99% of console players, so it effectively renders your point moot. There are plenty of videos on YouTube of people showing off the PS4 Pro fan it sounds like a jet engine. Hell, one video even did a before/after comparing the fan noise after liquid metal application and it was a night and day difference.

As far as design goes, Microsoft nailed it with the Xbox One X EDIT: Series X. The fact they went to a whole new form factor means that engineering-wise they just couldn't make it work in the traditional form factor. Since the PS5 and XSX are similar in power/capabilities, it just makes me curious to see what Sony did.

Last edited:
That's WAY beyond the scope of 99% of console players.
Bit harsh on the console crowd.
It effectively renders your point moot.
Doesn't render my point moot as it proves Sony's design is actually pretty good, they just needed to spend more money on the thermal paste. I mentioned it since it does make my point less realistic.

I did a bit of Googling and asking around since I posted though and yeah, it seems there are two different fan manufacturers/models that go into a PS4 Pro. One of them is known for being considerably quieter than the other. Checked back at my photo's of when I opened it up and I got lucky and got the quieter fan anyway.
As far as design goes, Microsoft nailed it with the Xbox One X. The fact they went to a whole new form factor means that engineering-wise they just couldn't make it work in the traditional form factor. Since the PS5 and XSX are similar in power/capabilities, it just makes me curious to see what Sony did.
Did you mean Xbox Series X? As the Xbox One X is the same form factor that all past Xbox's have been?
But you confirmed my point that the only reason anyone actually cares what Sony's console looks like is because Microsoft did something different.

Is it bad that I hope they don't copy and manage to fit it all into something that looks like a PS4? I like that it fits onto a shelf under my TV, I like the Blu-Ray drive being flat on the front, I like that I can put other devices below or above it without blocking anything. It may be a boring design but it works well from a usability standpoint.

That's WAY beyond the scope of 99% of console players, so it effectively renders your point moot. There are plenty of videos on YouTube of people showing off the PS4 Pro fan it sounds like a jet engine. Hell, one video even did a before/after comparing the fan noise after liquid metal application and it was a night and day difference.

As far as design goes, Microsoft nailed it with the Xbox One X. The fact they went to a whole new form factor means that engineering-wise they just couldn't make it work in the traditional form factor. Since the PS5 and XSX are similar in power/capabilities, it just makes me curious to see what Sony did.
My Pro is quiet as can be. My older PS4 standard I gave to my daughter did sound like a jet taking off, but it is such an easy fix it's stupid. Just crack it open and blow it out real good with some compressed air. Runs as quiet as it ever did after that. It's not a problem inherent to the PS termimal design. At least not in my experience. It's just dusty and needs some care.

Half the console players I know can barely plug the thing in. I had a buddy whose Xbox 360 was literally using composite cables for half the generation before he realized there was an HDMI out on his 360.

Hell, half of the posts on r/buildaPC are reminders to change the Windows refresh to up from 60 Hz if you buy a 144+ Hz monitor, and there were hundreds of comments from people who had spent the cost of an entire gaming console on the monitor and never set it up correctly.

The average gamer (console or PC) is NOT particularly tech-savvy, and certainly not going to pop open a PS4 Pro and apply liquid metal.

Back