Please can you check the compatibility of these parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

rv13uk

Please can someone else just check the compatability of these parts as im approaching the funds limit were i can afford them and need 2 show my parents that its not going to implode or other such unfortunate fate:

Case - Antec P180
PSU - Hiper modular 580W
Motherboard - Asus A8N-Sli Deluxe
Processor - Amd Athlon 64 FX55
Hard drive - Maxtor diamond plus 300Gb
Memory - 2 x 1Gb Corsair DDR400 PC3200
Monitor - Viewsonic VP191S

These are the parts im going to buy immediately, things like mouse, keyboard i have spair and i can get xp from my mum. . . the parts i want to buy later (after ive saved up again) are:

CD/DVD-RW drive - LG Electronics 16x DVD-+RW
Mouse - That logitech G7 gaming mouse thingy
Keyboard - Z-Board
Soundcard - perhaps Creative soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum but not sure if i want to spend that much

If anyone can tell me whether these parts will all go nicely together it will be muchly appreciated, any recommendations will be taken, especially if one or more parts are incompatible but i dont think they should be. Thanks for your help in advance and it should persuade my parents as there a bit apprehensive bout me spending so much money.

The parts are OK, but I would get 2 x 160GB harddisks instead.
Getting XP from your mum is not... You need a separate COA and CD-key.

I dont suppose that all being on the same network affects it does it, or would we need 2 buy one of those licence things?

Get the ViewSonic vp191b or the vx924 & yes you need two separate licenses for two machines otherwise one will barely work for 30 days before locking itself up (the one which cannot be activated).

Didou said:
Get the ViewSonic vp191b or the vx924 & yes you need two separate licenses for two machines otherwise one will barely work for 30 days before locking itself up (the one which cannot be activated).

thats never happend to me and i got the copy of xp on 10 different machine all with the same key. I cant update the OS using www.windowsupdate.com but it still updates by the clock.

I would get an 550w enermax 2.0 power supply. Instead of the hiper max.

www.newegg.com

What graphics cards you planning to run.

you really dont need that much power unless your jammin some hardcore graphics GPU but then again you got an FX-55! for your CPU. your probably better off with a dual core setup. The future of programs and games are dual core.

And what type of corsair. I would got with the cheaper patriot XBLK with low latencys 2 2 2 5. They both use samsung TCCD you can learn about that when you get your rig going.

I will tell you. The antec case is OK i think it needs a better cooling setup. But it looks great. The Motherboard is A great choice. The hard drives are OK. One of the maxtors i had already went to pieces. what are you planning on doing with this rig. Do you need 300GB and 2gb ram. Are you just a gamer. Or what. I never heard of hiper modular. They either A suck. Or B some special High amps/super relable PSU that caters to certain gamers.

Great choice in MOBO i allready built a comp using that motherboard.

BTW everything is compatible. Except im unclear in the hiper modular as being a good choice. Research enermax. and LAST make sure your power supply is an SLI power supply with 24 pins instead of 20.

Goodluck.

Just a couple of things:
1. You haven't mentioned a video card? That is a big ticket item and your other gear may not be worth much without it.
2. Don't use the Maxtor with the A8N SLI board. They do not work well together for some odd reason. I have handled dozens of problems with the A8N and Maxtor butting heads. Get a Western Digital and avoid the problems.
3. You'll need the CD ROM drive and a Floppy to get the thing running. Remember XP comes on a CD.
4. Have you looked at the 4000+ or 3700+ CPU's. Save yourself bags of cash and they overclock like banshees.
5. That looks like a grreat PSU and I'll go against the flow here and recommend you keep it. Too many skimp on this important piece of gear. If you end up with two video cards you may be glad that you got the extra power.
6. If you have an old copy of XP that isn't being used you can get an activation code from MS. I rebuilt my wife's PC and used her Dell OEM CD. It will force you to call MS and get a new code. The other PC, though, must be unusable and I'm sure they both won't update.

There are always warezed corporate version that can do that, but let's stay on the legal side of things, shall we ?

Sos thought i'd mentioned the graphics card, going with the geforce 7800 GT (XFX extreme addtion), the link for the RAM (if ne1 wants to check it out) is http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=232551 about the power supply, i know its not a well known make, i'd never heard of it before i started luking 2 buy a new one, but I have checked reviews and it got about 8/10, for the price i think that thats quite a good offer. The processor, i want quite a fast one, as any one would, and i orignally thought about the Athlon 64 4000 but I'm hoping to keep this computer for about 3 years, without replacing the CPU or graphics card, so i decided to go with the FX 55 as ive heard its highly oc'able (i wouldnt want 2 do it straight away but in 2 years time i might take the risk so it can handle whatever's out there). I plan to use the computer for gaming and perhaps might end up doing some maths on it (doing maths and further maths at A-Level and im not sure how intensive that would be). I dont really want to use dual core as whilst its 'the future', I dont really multitask that much, 2 applications at the most, unless theres some anti-spyware program in the background, but thats not particularly strenuous, so i decided i'd rather go with an extremely fast single core processor and perhaps upgrade to dual core when theres applications to take advantage of it. (Also on the topic of future, theres so many new things that are going to be 'the future' that i tend to get a bit annoyed and just go with whats in now, obviously with some minor consideration towards the immediate new technlogies like SATA or pci-e was when i started planning for this thing. One thing im not sure about is the whole 'btx' case idea, although to be honest a good atx case with the cooling the antec p180 fans provide (3 12cm's) should last me until i decide to oc).

Oh yeah, one last thing bout western raptors, whilst the speed is nice personally I dont think its worth the money for the limited amount of space you have available on one, you'd proably need two in RAID 0 if you wanted decent capacity, and thats one expense I couldnt afford. Also, if anyones ever shopped at Scan before i'd be interested to know there opinions of it, the only reason im planning to buy this computer soon is that they have a buy now pay 9 months later (no interest) on orders over £1000, 9 months brings birthday and christmas :D

Here is the hard drive I suggested (Raptors are too expensive, forget them) http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=69531
WD SATA 250GB 7200RPM w/ 8MB buffer. You'll have an incredibly fast system, when done, with the parts you have picked out. If you have any problems setting up the BIOS drop me a PM as I have worked with quite a few folks getting their A8N SLI rigs up and running.

Oh yeah, don't get a SATA optical drive. They provide no increase in performance but do cause conflicts within the system. Just get a regular IDE DVD writer. Do get the FX55 with the San Diego core. Cooler running and better O/Cer

in reguards to not multitasking. New software will and games are going to take advantage of 2 cores in the future. Also most programs run more then one thread anyways. So even if you dont multitask there is a significant benefit to getting a dual core.

I'd just like to know, how would the Athlon 64 x2 4600 (the processor closest to the FX55 price range) compare to the FX55, the price drop for the dual core cpu is tempting, but i'd like to know what gaming performance would be like, as well as general desktop use, compared to the single core. I do know about the reason for dual core's advantages, for example running the background tasks on 1 core, and using the other for general applications, im just wondering how much current applications will utilize the dual core.

by the way i quickly read some reviews and benchmark comparisons of the fx 57 vs the dual core 4800 they can run side by side same speed. Read it at hardOCP.com
DUAL CORE TRUST ME BRO

I can't believe the 4800+ and FX 55 are only $70 apart here in the states!!!! There is no doubt that I would get the 4800+ over the fx55 if the cost difference is only $811 to $881. Still, these little $70 differences start building up after awhile. Sooner or later you have to sit down and say "That's it, no more, this is what I am getting because it is what I can afford." You can always go a little further and spend a little more but you're going to have to bite the bullet and order the parts sooner or later. I guarantee that 6 months after you build this rig it won't be top of the line any longer. Any decision will be fine as you will have a very, very good system that can handle anything you are likely to throw at it over the next 3-4 years. The 4600+ is $200 cheaper than either of the above.

I think i will go with the dual core 4600, save money and to be honest, compared to the system ive got now (dont ask, just dont :D) this system is going to have me amazed for quite a while, to say the least.

I think you're making a great decison. There comes a point where the extra cost to performance ratio becomes ridiculous. The 4600 at $200 less is a real sweetspot, cost/performance-wise, and will overclock to 4800 speeds anyways.

I have one last suggestion. Get the A8N SLI Premium. It is only #13 more but is a huge improvement over the deluxe. Dos away with the horrible chipset fan and also the SLI selctor card. Just a much more mature product for a very, very small price difference. I think it is price as such because Asus wants the Deluxe to fade away ( I am a deluxe owner).

So 4600+, A8N SLI Premium, 2GB of RAM, Hiper modular 580W PSU and 7800GTX. Sounds like a beast. Oh yeah, don't get the Maxtor. LOL

Good Luck

The 4600 at $200 less is a real sweetspot, cost/performance-wise, and will overclock to 4800 speeds anyways.

Care to explain that process? They're both the same clock speed, so how are you going to oc the 4600 to a 4800 when they're both 2.4ghz. The 4800 just has more cache, 1mb per core(4800) vs 512kb per core(4600).

I suppose you mean you could oc the 4600 to say 2.6ghz and then it would outperform the 4800+.

4600+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103545

4800+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103544

just thought i'd say, I live in the UK, so all these $ prices don't mean a great deal to me. Im just wondering though, wen you said $200 less, less than the fx55 or the x2 4800, at the mo ive got the x2 4600 down as only £40 less than the fx 55.

smart move dual core is the way to go. In 3-6 months you wont see any fx anythings amd will bust out with some gfx-66 dual core gamer chip or whatever and the fx-55 will be $289 on special. Dont listen to those "hardcore gamers use single core cpus" because CPUs are so fast nowdays it doesnt take a super strong chip anymore to run the fastest games. I would STRONGLY CONSIDER A DIFFERENT POWER SUPPLY. Once again good luck.

One last thing the differeance betweent 4400 toledo and 4600 manchester is .2ghz and 1mb cache. The toledo is a far better chip. and you saving an additional 100 bucks.

Toledo is 11 multiplier
and the manchester is 12 but it has 512 less cache.

If you OC your toledo to fsb 230 (easily done)

230*11 that give a 2530 GHZ

Thats practically a DUAL CORE FX 55 for only 575 bucks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220140

Get this memory instead. and ditch the power supply get an enermax PSU.

People keep saying 'get rid of the psu' but I'd like to know why before i made the decision, as far as I can tell the one I have chosen is a very good one, for the price anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back