Please help, am having problems with GeForce FX 5500 graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my computer last June and it came with GeForce FX 5500. I am currently trying to play games such as Half Life 2 and the Sims 2 but it keeps crashing randomly throughout the games.

I have tried drivers 66.93 and 56.72 with no effect. I've turned off background processes and updated other drivers.

I'm not very technically minded but am finding this problem very frustrating and would like it solved...can anybody help me?

Should I maybe think of replacing my graphics card? If so what ones do people recommend?

Hello, did you overclock your video card?

you say you tried to use nVIDIA ForceWare v56.72 and still fail? your video card sucks, try to get nVIDIA GeForce FX5700LE with 256mb ram or ATI Radeon 9550?

Lucan

P.S. Remember, Doom3 require the mid-end to high-end video class, and sound like you would like to have a budget video. you should have one of this i offered you. Look at tigerdirect.com for latest prices.

What are your computer specs? It sounds like the video card or computer are overheating. Does the video card have a fan?

Hi im having very same problem did you solve yours?

Hi i just read your post and was surprised to find out im having same problem as you. I just built my pc last month and it worked fine with most games for about month and then problem started where:

1. my pc would freeze up totally during all games for a few seconds and then restart on it own or id have to ctrl.alt.delte to get it to desktop and check the taskmanager.

2. I saw someone post on another online forum that onboard sound drivers may cause this problem, so if your using onboard audio, disable it and try games. If they work without onbaord audio then thats problem i guess.

3. I have a mid range system but i havent ruled out problems with psu or memory.

email me with any further questions, maybe we can help each other figure out this problem.

the names dustin in the caribbean.

take care, hope you solve your problem.

Gforce fx 5500 is a lemon

kirsten_uk3 said:
I got my computer last June and it came with GeForce FX 5500. I am currently trying to play games such as Half Life 2 and the Sims 2 but it keeps crashing randomly throughout the games.

I have tried drivers 66.93 and 56.72 with no effect. I've turned off background processes and updated other drivers.

I'm not very technically minded but am finding this problem very frustrating and would like it solved...can anybody help me?

Should I maybe think of replacing my graphics card? If so what ones do people recommend?
red

I run a Computer Repair Store, and I just built a custom computer for a client with a p4 D motherboard. After installing all new components, I noticed that the Gforce 256mb card I installed would freeze and crash the new computer quite frequently. So I took it back, and got another one. Same problem! I'm convinced that this card is a Lemon ! Take it back and get a different model if you can, or buy a Radion !

whoooo- those drivers are WAY old.

the latest official release is 91.31- works. I tested it.

there's even a 91.33 out. (beta) - and it appears to be stable. I'm using it now with an 9800 GS AGP

download them at nvidia.com

Your card will play doom 3 on medium settings, but no higher.
I used to have that exact card. It worked very well with driver version 81.95

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back