Please Help Backing Up my DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertq

Hello,

Please forgive me if this is a really stupid question & I read few posts to get some idea & downloaded some necessary software too.

I just got my first video DVD whch is sort of an instructional video DVD for my business..

I want to make a back up copy of it.

I have never ever used a movie DVD or any kind of video DVD before.

I do back up regular data from my hard drive to a 4.7 GB DVD using Sonic software provided by Dell.

This is the first video DVD I played using Roxio CinePlayer.

I know nothing about DVd protection. How do I know if there is a protection on this DVD ?

I have just downloaded the DVDFab Platinum a DVD copying software suggested in this forum.

My questions are :

Can I just copy this DVD using my regular Dell provided Sonic software ?

Can I copy this DVD using DVDFab platinum software & if yes, do I need to remove any kind of protection before I copy ?

Trying to copy this DVD by using either software would hurt the original in any way ? ( This probably might be the stupidest question )

I might have to return this DVD to the vendor if the product with which this DVD came with doesn't work out for me after 30 Day trial period.

Thank You.
Robert

Robert, not a stupid question at all!

Most video DVDs, at least those that are sold and copyrighted, have some kind of encryption to prevent illicit or even illegal copying. But the encryption technique doesn't use any encryption keys (actually, they can't use them, it's impossible!), so it's just an algorithm. Eventually, someone cracks the code and a program is developed to "rip" the DVDs. Anyhow, I don't condone the use these programs although I did help a friend make a copy of a DVD movie he bought at a store.

robertq said:
Can I just copy this DVD using my regular Dell provided Sonic software ?

No, you need to find the freeware program someone has developed over the Internet.

robertq said:
Can I copy this DVD using DVDFab platinum software & if yes, do I need to remove any kind of protection before I copy ?

See answer to previous question.

robertq said:
Trying to copy this DVD by using either software would hurt the original in any way ? ( This probably might be the stupidest question )

No, the origianl DVD is a read-only DVD, so it cannot be overwritten or changed.

First of all make sure you have a dvd burner. Next you want to use a program that will rip the dvd and burn it. I would recommend DVD Decrypter.

Here is a site that will allow you to download it , since the official site is no longer able to let you legally distribute it cause the movie industry thinks it is used for piracy. Anyway there is no harm in you using it since you are doing it on your personal video.

http://www.mrbass.org/dvdrip/

dont be afraid of downloading this program, I and many have used it for years. I really like it. You could also use other programs.But this one is simple, just make sure that you set it to to ISO mode. To do this click mode>>iso>>read. to burn do the same thing but instead of read click burn.

For the encryption, use decrypting software. DVD Decrypter (a discontinued freeware program) is a great one, but I've always used AnyDVD, which provides real-time decryption of any copyright protection. Usually, DVD duplication software will not copy a disc if copyright protection is found. AnyDVD fools these programs into thinking that there is no encryption present.

However, most retail DVD's are Dual-Layer discs, which means they store 7-8GB of content, and will not fit onto a regular Single-Layer 4.7GB DVD blank. First, insert the disc, then go to My Computer and see the properties of the disc. If it is a normal 4.7GB disc, then skip the rest of this section. If it is a dual layer disc with upwards of 7GB of content, continue on...

To get around this problem, you can either buy a Dual-Layer DVD blank to burn it on, or shrink the ~8GB contents to fit a 4.7GB disc.

Get DVD-Recoding software that shrinks the contents of a Dual Layer DVD to fit a regular 4.7GB disc. An excellent freeware program that does this is DVD Shrink (Google it). Nero Recode also does this.

Now, after you work-around the encryption and recode (shrink) the disc contents (if needed), you will just have to burn the files. DVD Shrink can link with Nero if you have it installed, and will burn the disc right after you shrink the contents.

I was gonna recommend dvd shrink too, but I didnt think his video was dual layer. I have tried any dvd but didnt really like it cause just like DVD Decrypter it wasnt able to crack certain movies. I used Rip It for Me when the DVD Dec Or Shrink couldnt do it. The onlytimes Rip it4me couldnt do it was when the dvd was physically unreadable. Plus unlike any dvd , rip it 4 me is free. I f you want the link ask me. Il post it.

Hi,

almcneil, darel001, & Grafficks,

Very kind of you guys. Tremendous help & knowledge.

I was little excited about getting started so I downloaded this software called " DVDFab Platinum " 30 day trial & decided to waste a DVd.

From it's description, it sounded too good to be true judging by all the knowldge you guys have but some how it just did the job. It successfully created a back up copy.

Now this might be due to the fact that it wasn't a movie DVD but a demo video DVd & had no protection or I just got lucky. I will have to ask you guys if any of you used it to back up your movie DVDs.

I do appreciate your very timely kind HELP & would love to get your feed back on this further. I don't want my luck to hinder my further knowledge on this subject so kindly post your comments.

I guess, I will buy some movie DVDs that I have wanted for long time.

I also would like to buy some music DVDs or CDs now I know that I have some knowledge of burning DVDs besides my data back up on DVDs.

Thank you so much. You guys are GREAT.
Robert

darel001 said:
I was gonna recommend dvd shrink too, but I didnt think his video was dual layer. I have tried any dvd but didnt really like it cause just like DVD Decrypter it wasnt able to crack certain movies. I used Rip It for Me when the DVD Dec Or Shrink couldnt do it. The onlytimes Rip it4me couldnt do it was when the dvd was physically unreadable. Plus unlike any dvd , rip it 4 me is free. I f you want the link ask me. Il post it.

I would really appreciate the link for " Rip It for Me ".

Thank You Much.
Robert

DVD Decrypter and Shrink I saw on Tech TV now G4tv years ago. like 2. the other ones I bumped into a forum while doing a google search.

FixVTS

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/RipIt4Me

quick google search. I think this program also requires dvd decrypter, dvd shrink, and i think it might ask for FixVTS. which is here

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/RipIt4Me

this might seem like too much but its quite easy after you install them. To be honest, this is all I have used . I have never payed for a dvd copy software ( except twice at walmart, but they both sucked) problem with some software you buy is that if you wanna backup copyrighted dvd, you cant. Sometimes you get lucky and they offer links to certain plugins. I would not spend money on these programs because the free ones in this case are the best. In my opinion.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back