Please help ! frustaded!

Status
Not open for further replies.

saron88

i have a prob with my hard drivers
i have a maxtor (c: drv) 2gb
and another drive (d:) wdc ac2420f 236 mb
windows is installed on the maxtor but the location is zero the smaller drv is located 1
i keep getting a hard drive error each time i start up
any suggestions?
thx

What exactly is the error you are getting? Any reference codes or more information is very helpful.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Hi Saron88

You did not mention at which stage the error message is generated. Which Windows OS is it since it seems that your drive is kinda small for XP. still I guess that the error messag comes up soon after or during P.O.S.T. during which your drive info is displayed. You should use a utility for formatting and partitioning at DOS level (such as Partition Magic or Acronis OS-5) in order to check the integrity and partitions of the drives. Best is the manufacturers dedicated utility (Maxblast for Maxtor and Lifeguard for WD) - they can check and report problems. Having gone through all that (it should'nt disrupt anything) without discovering a foult it seems that the drives placement on the IDE cable (it is IDE?!) are wrong. Are they hooked to the same cable? Did they function well as is? Can you supply the error syntax?
Please help us help U...
:hotbounce :hotbounce

thanx

ok im trying to get this hp pavillion 7360 to boot up. my monitor works and every thing is plugged in. i changed the processor and the hard drive but the system wont boot up
when i turn on i get a green power light and one red flash from the hard drive
the red light goes off but the green light keeps blibnking
any suggestion
:confused:

Changed procrossor to what ??? you motherboard might not support the new procrossor size this could be part of the problem.. Most genernic motherboards wont let hit the 166 fsb (this is for a 333fsb system) IT will tell you in your manual ot there website what size you can go up too.

green light blinking

well the processor is an AMD but i dont know specs :rolleyes: guess i should have written it
the board has a 2nd tier that sits above the ram and processor etc...
so i dont want to take it off again but is there any other reason for the light and non boot?

saron88 said:
well the processor is an AMD but i dont know specs :rolleyes: guess i should have written it
the board has a 2nd tier that sits above the ram and processor etc...
so i dont want to take it off again but is there any other reason for the light and non boot?

yes this is why I asked the procrossor size you can find this in xp in control panel system information....I bet anythignt he procrossor is too big for the system

place it in simple terms fi the new procrossor has a FSB of 333 wich is 166x2 and your computer only supports a 266fsb procrossor or worse yet one lower than that near as i can figure this more than likely came installed with windows 98??

if the mobo does support it make sure your heatsink is in the correct way really take a look at it the step on the heat sink goes on step step..

this will also cause this problem

the reason for the lights it getting power...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back