Please help! How Secure is KVM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Got a question about this. I have my personal computer at work, and I want to get a IOGEAR KVM to swtich between them. Now, my work network monitor everything you do at your computer, I wonder will they know I'm switching the computer?
Thanks for your info.

No, they don't know when you "unplug" the screen, mouse and keyboard. Unless the mouse and keyboard are USB and they log USB activity but I REALLY doubt about this.

thanks for helping.
but we do use usb for our computer, So you say they can know if usb is being used or not. would you suggest i use ps2 instead?

So you say they can know if usb is being used or not.

I don't know if they can monitor this, but the computer knows when you plug or unplug something for USB so it could be a possibility. Does it matter for them anyways???

If the mouse and keyboard are plugged when the OS starts you should have no problems.

Thanks for your help. i guess it depend on the network. if my computer knows, i'd think the network will know.

All a KVM does is switch out your monitor and keyboard, as long as you don't disconnect your network computer, they'll never know otherwise. Now some companies have a "keylogger" tool on the back of your keyboard port, but they must disclose this in a policy somewhere. KVMs normally do not include this.

Thanks, don't know much about usb connection and network. So does that mean external usb harddrive is safe too? cuase the computer recongize as a extra drive.

If you are trying to use your companies internet without them knowing than you are making a mistake if you think that this will cover your tracks.

First off the company will know the instant you plug your computer into the network. They may not see it right away but if they check their monitoring programs they will be able to see that there is a non domain computer on that network. No big deal, you're not busted yet. However, you are still connecting to their network and all your IP traffic is still flowing through their equipment, this means that they will still log every single thing that you do through their IAS server or through whatever they are using to monitor web page visits.

The first thing they will do is try and narrow your location down. You'll prolly see some of your IT guys walking around aimlessly, going into peoples office based on the scope of the IP address that has been assigned to your home computer. Eventually they will come into your office and see your non compliant machine attached to their network and more than likely this will flip their ****. If you work for a government agency, depending on what you're doing, this is punishable by up to a 25k fine and some jail time. Bottom line, don't do it you're only asking for trouble. Pleas trust me on this as these other posts, as knowledgeable as they are, are misleading you into thinking you can get away with this.

s3xynanigoat said:
If you are trying to use your companies internet without them knowing than you are making a mistake if you think that this will cover your tracks.

First off the company will know the instant you plug your computer into the network. They may not see it right away but if they check their monitoring programs they will be able to see that there is a non domain computer on that network. No big deal, you're not busted yet. However, you are still connecting to their network and all your IP traffic is still flowing through their equipment, this means that they will still log every single thing that you do through their IAS server or through whatever they are using to monitor web page visits.

The first thing they will do is try and narrow your location down. You'll prolly see some of your IT guys walking around aimlessly, going into peoples office based on the scope of the IP address that has been assigned to your home computer. Eventually they will come into your office and see your non compliant machine attached to their network and more than likely this will flip their ****. If you work for a government agency, depending on what you're doing, this is punishable by up to a 25k fine and some jail time. Bottom line, don't do it you're only asking for trouble. Pleas trust me on this as these other posts, as knowledgeable as they are, are misleading you into thinking you can get away with this.
And you'd better hope you're not connecting to a U.S. government computer. Non government computers are strictly prohibted from connecting to government computers without explicit permission from the system administrator (usually never.) I am quite sure this is also the case in the U.K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back