Please help -- internet explorer crashes on launch -- hijackthis attached

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is when I launch internet explorer it crashes (memory location can not be written). If I open Windows Explorer and then type web address it works until IE wants to open another window. It also works fine in Safe Mode. Attached is the log. Please assist.

Thank you.

sounds like either you got a memory issue (run memtest86 overnight) or a page file issue.

Thanks for the response. The only program I have noticed failing is IE. Does that still point to a memory problem?

For the swap file, I got rid of the one on my "C" drive and made one on my "D" drive. I then rebooted and got the same problem. I have since put it back.

I downloaded and have been running the Memtest 86 v 3.2. It locks up (i.e. test freezes and clock stops) at various times throughout the test. I then reboot and it starts up again but freezes sooner or later. Does that mean a memory problem? A bios setting? Or is this program prone to freezing up?

Nothing in my hijackthis file points to anything?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

In your hijackthis file you have several suspect items that I suggest you remove. Be sure to check and see if this is truly valid software.

Do these steps..

1. Switch System restore OFF.
2. Boot in Safe Mode.
3. Press the Alt/Ctrl/Del simultaneously, select Task Manager then then Processes tab. There find (there may not be one) and select the process “PartyPoker.exe” and click "End Process" Next,
4. Uninstall software related to
C:\Program Files\GAMES\Party Poker\PartyPoker.exe
5. Run a Hijack this scan and remove the following items by placing a tock mark in the little square I front of them. Then clicking on the “Fix Checked” button.

O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Games\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Games\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe

6. Delete the above GAMEs directory.

7. These also look suspect. I say delete them too.
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} - http://207.188.7.150/19b5fc2968a3472e5f03/netzip/RdxIE2.cab
O16 - DPF: {6D5FCFCB-FA6C-4CFB-9918-5F0A9F7365F2} - http://www.gigex.com/tv/igor/gigexagent.dll

8. Finally clean your temps and cache files. Ccleaner is freeware and its great.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

9. Reboot.

Be sure to post back what happens so we can all learn from it.

Geek on!
- Barfarf

Barfarf -- I did everything but steps 3, 4, 5 and 6 (I know what PartyPoker is and did not want to get rid of it). Still had the same problem.

tedster -- I happened to have another 512 stick from Kingston and put it in and ran memory test. It locked as well. I am not sure the chances they are both bad, but what do you think it could be? I also tried the other memory slot on the motherboard.

Again I wonder why things work in safe mode and also why things work if I start by opening explorer (instead of internet explorer) and then put in a web address it works too.

Any thoughts and help are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Asus P4P800S, and the memory I am trying now is Kingston DDR 266 512MB non-ecc, processor is P4 2.8Ghz with HyperThreading.

The original memory was Nanya DDR 266 512MB non-ecc

Another piece of info -- I turned off HT in the bios and now the memory tests run (gone through one whole cycle already -- farther then it has ever gotten since I started this morning). Also, I booted into Windows with the HT off and Internet Explorer still fails.

Again, thanks.

Reinstall ie 6

SAHorowitz are your sure partypoker is safe?

My guess your issue is related to some sort of corrupted file from a virus or spyware.

As for it being bad memory its possible. I know it can cause all kinds of odd issues. Personally I have not seen bad memory crash only Internet Explorer without causing other items to crash. Geting memtest to run by turning off HT is a mystery to me. I will be interested to hear why that happens.

Do you have the latest version Adware 1.06 and Sypbot 1.4? Have you updated them to the latest definitions and then ran each of them?

Do you have a virus scanner? Is it updated and still has a valid subscription?

Hmmm……..you can try a couple of other things.

1. Running scandisk might help.
2. Defragging the hard drive can sometimes fix the odd issues.
3. Reinstall ie 6.0 - Two ways

A: The only official way to repair Internet Explorer is to have sfc check the system files by clicking on the Start Menu, then Run, and type in:
"sfc /scannow"
and then click on OK. This can take several minutes 10-15. Also you will need the XP cd-rom

B. Another way that – you do NOT the XP cd
1. Start -> run -> type “reg edit”. This starts the registry editor.
2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Active Setup \ Installed Components \ {89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
3. right-click the IsInstalled value, and then click Modify
4. Change the value data, from 1 to 0
5. Close the registry editor
6. Download and install Internet Explorer 6.

-barfarf

I appreciate everyone's help. I have decided just to reinstall Windows and so far with the new Windows install IE is working fine. It had been about 3 years since I had done it last and you know how "clogged" a computer can get. It will take me several days to get everything back on there that I use, but I have Drive Image so I know that my data is there. By the way I use Ad-Aware, AVG Free, Search & Destroy and Zone Alarm but got bit anyway -- oh well.

The one good bit of news is with HyperThreading turned off I now have 1GB of memory that passes memtest86 instead of 512MB that locked up the program. Silver lining and all.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and Happy Holidays.

DId have you have too turn off HT? HT makes the computer run a wee bit faster. Sad to see it go.

Well SAHorowitz sounds like you were ready for a reinstall. Good luck hope it all goes all.

Happy Holidays!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back