Please help me - has my mobo died or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hiya im sam and my computers not working right now

i have a Gigabyte GA-8VT880P Combo mobo (pentium 4)

i try to turn my pc on and the fans go and drives etc are fine, but I have no display on my monitor - no signal at all.

have tried swapping ram and gfx card and they dont make any difference - have also tried turning pc on with all the non essential stuff disconnected.

one thing that is happening is that while the pc is turned on the green and red LED's are both on. the red one is on solidly which is strange - I was wondering whether this is some kind of indicator to whats wrong.

any one have any ideas or tests i need to try?

This sounds like the motherboard. Have you recently made any changes?
Have you tried with everything removed except the PSU connections - no RAM no graphics no nothing (including front panel connectors)?
If you do this, start the system by shorting the two pins for the front panel power button and tell us if there are any beeps - no beeps at all is bad news.

the only changes i think i made was that after setting the pc back up (ive just moved back to my uni house) the comp worked but the wireless PCI card didnt so i had to replug it in (it was loose) so maybe summat i did then killed it cos this happened after that.
my housemate tried unplugging the non essentials and he did that reset thing too i think. and there are no beeps thinking about it :S

i guess its new mobo time then...

thanks for answering

If the wireless card was loose inside the case it may have done some damage. If you can borrow another PSU or try your PSU in another system just to confirm that your PSU is good (would guess so as you did have LEDs working).

Have you recently installed any new hardware?

Im pretty sure this is your motherboard, i hear about this all the time.

Regards Jase :)

it wasnt loose as in rattling around. I dont think it is going to be the PSU as I did buy a new one not too long ago. I know its possible that part of it could be damaged which would make it not work. but i think the motherboard is probably the most likely thing, someone has offered to have a look for me tomorro so hopefully by then i will know

PSUs are cheaper than motherboards (well sort of) so I would try that first unless you are convinced that the motherboard has suffered some sort of trauma!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back