Please help me. SATA HD on XP Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

MISHA8725

I have a Seagate HD and XP installation CD doesn't see it. I know that I need to load drivers of a sort but how? and do I have to put it on a floppy or can i use my flash drive?

XP Home?
I know with Pro i've not had any problems installing a basic sata driver on about 5 builds now.
If its a new build, you should have a floppy disk with the sata drivers on it, bundled with your mobo.
But i'm pretty sure XP .... with SP2 will have basic drivers.

Nevermind, HP Online Chat Support helped me. LOL.

Nah, HP just instructed me to switch the controller driver in BIOS over to IDE mode.

Alright, new issue. Using XP Install it formats the partition and then does the automatic reboot. Yet it hangs on the Press key to boot from CD. No matter how many times I hit any key it won't move. Any suggestions?

After the initial format you DON'T press that key again.

It is another one of Bill's jokes.

:(

I'm sorry, let me explain the situation in full:

Vista has been installed first on this machine. One hard drive. Using Vista I shrunk the C Partition to make room for a dual boot with XP. Everything I found recommended putting XP first, then Vista. Unfortunately there is already data in the Vista portion and no recovery disks on hand. Using very detailed instructions you install XP on the available partition, then using a third party software load Vista boot manager and viola! you have a dual boot machine with Vista and XP. And now it is giving me issues when XP goes to reboot after format. What do you think?

So I can't even get XP to install so that I can set up the dual boot. crap.

and now even when I delete the H: partition so it's blank with XP install CD and then exit from there it won't boot to Vista either. It just goes to a blank screen. I hate this stuff.

I tried to install on the empty partition again and it won't budge from the press any key to boot from CD screen now. i'm gonna cry.

The problem with the new (Vista) then old (XP) install is that the old, when installed in that order, overwrites the new ntldr and ntdetect .coms and the new gets lost.

Past cure was to restore those files from a version of the new.

I dunno about Vista. :(

The thing that happened was that I couldn't even install XP to use the program designed to fix all that. :( oh well, just had to grit down and do whatever. Closed.

MISHA8725 said:
I'm sorry, let me explain the situation in full:

Vista has been installed first on this machine. One hard drive. Using Vista I shrunk the C Partition to make room for a dual boot with XP. Everything I found recommended putting XP first, then Vista. Unfortunately there is already data in the Vista portion and no recovery disks on hand. Using very detailed instructions you install XP on the available partition, then using a third party software load Vista boot manager and viola! you have a dual boot machine with Vista and XP. And now it is giving me issues when XP goes to reboot after format. What do you think?

So I can't even get XP to install so that I can set up the dual boot. crap.

and now even when I delete the H: partition so it's blank with XP install CD and then exit from there it won't boot to Vista either. It just goes to a blank screen. I hate this stuff.

First to install Vista and then try to install XP takes a rather savey computer person. Unless you are VERY PROFECIENT IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED.. GO BACK TO XP. then install Vista as the second OS (recommend version).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back