Please help me with installing 2 cdrom drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
have tried a couple things on my computer (a gateway running windows 98 SE) i tried useing the cable with 2 connections on the other end and hooking up both cd rom drives one a burner one just a reader and it only let me use one. then gateway support said i could disconnect my floppy disk drive and swap in a cd rom with it and it would work with out ne set-up needed but it didnt all it does now is tell me i have no floppy drive installed so i tried changing the bios settings on what it is but i didnt know what was what so i just disabled it how do i do it by swaping out the floppy for a cdrom and in My computer haveing 2 seperate cd rom drives i can select pppppppllllleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeee help me.....

If you want to use 2 CD units, be it a burner or just a Cd you need to set the jumpers on the back of the units to Master and Slave.

The Jumpers are there if you look and you will notice a legend saying Master/Slave/CS , set one to Master and one to slave, go into the BIOS and make sure that the BIOS is set to autodetect the drives.

The IDE cable may well be marked with "Master Drive" and "Slave drive" if not the usual way is to connect the furthest end to the Master Unit and the middle connection to the Slave.

Regards

I agree with Ididmyc600, your problem is most likely due to the jumpers on the drives not being set properly.

help

umm when i tried that befor it would only reconize one of the drives i want to set it up so under my computer there are 2 seperate drives to select and so that they run independantly i would like to know if there is a way to do it through the floppy drives normal hook up

I`m getting confused with all these threads on the same subject.

There`s a link HERE with pictures and diagrams.

I know this is restating what`s already been said,but it can very easy to get it wrong.

Either set them both to cable select (CS), or one as master and one as slave.
This assumes your putting them on one IDE cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back