please help me with networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

expertwannabe

OK, I am really having trouble setting up my network ( 2 pc's ),this is the first time to do this. My host pc is windows xp, my client pc is windows 98 se. I have dsl internet. On the host pc under network connections, it shows 3 connections. 1 is my internet connection ,Local Area connection,shared,firewalled, Realtek RTL8139/810X Family Fast Ethernet NIC. ISP provided modem. 2nd is Local Area Connection 2 3COM Etherlink XL 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX) ethernet card I supplied. It also says Network cable un-plugged. It's not. 3rd is 1394 connection,connected,firewalled 1394 net adapter. My client pc has a generic network card I bought at Wal-Mart, NETWORK EVERYWHERE is the name. I used the Network wizzard on host pc and I am pretty sure I have the pc's configured, but I cannot get them to recognise one another. ANY help will be greatly appreciated

if the xp is ntfs the w98se will not see the drive
but xp should see the win98 drive
you are using cross over cablr or going through router?????
with sharing on first I would say a crossover cable between machines

and you have to enable sharing of the drive
make sure both are on the same workgroup
get ipaddress of the one machine try to ping from other in start /run type cmd type cd c:\
type ping (the ip )

I am using crossover cable, why would one connection say the cable is not connected,when it is ?(brand new cable). ping unsuccesful from xp to 98. can't get the 98 to work, it keeps saying unsuccesful command, or bad comand prompt,if I am doing it correct. I have tried to set up manually following directions from several networking sites and I have used xp's networking wizzard. The wizzard says I am networked but I am not.

ok, if you are going to pc <> pc directly, then there is something going on with the cable or NICs.

if you are going PC<>router/hub/switch<>pc it should use normal Cat5 cable (blue ones) unless your router has a gizmo to detect the difference between the two types and either auto corrects the pin inputs to get the network going.

i assume you are using 1 pc with two ethernet NICs right? can i ask what is the purpose of this network going to be? eg: file/print server, net server etc...

try assigning static ip address, and checking that tcp/ip protocols are installed in both machines for the appropriate NIC devices, and i cant remember exactly (been a while) but there is some sort of connection type that you need to check.. like netbui/ppp or something that win98 has that winxp wont have anymore (or at least had it integrated/option to be checked?)..

I am using Belkin FastCat 5e cable (black)
Yes, my host pc has 2 ethernet NICs, client pc 1 ethernet NIC
I too,am leaning on something being wrong with the 2nd card I installed in my host pc, it's a used card I pulled from a spare pc at my work. Silly me,trying to save a few $$. First thing Mon I am getting the same kind of card I put in the client pc.
I'm Just wanting to share internet connections between the 2 pc's and a little file sharing.
thanks

if internet and file sharing is all you need, then since you have a broadband/adsl connection and i presume a modem with an ethernet connection, why dont you get yourself a router? tehy arnt that expensive these days, and wifi routers are just getting cheaper and faster(if you want one of those).

then its just a matter of pluging in hte normal cat5e cables to pc>router>pc, configure your winxp pc to have a different ip address to 192.168.0.1, likewise as your win98 pc, and giving that address to your router. then its a matter of setting up file sharing on both pcs, and dont forget the folders you want to share etc, then you will have 24/7 internet access without the need of the host pc running 24/7.

but if you want to run with dual NICs then there is a thread somewhere on this forum that probably prove usefull.. cant remember the link so you;ll have to search for it

I'm think'n you need the xp 3rd party software to config W98
on setup did you see a prompt to load a disk to copy and load to the other machine
W98 ICS is not the same as xp ICS
networking

Use a Router

I agree, if you are using a broadband connection and have either a cable or DSl modem, then get a inexpensive wired or wireless router. Power everything down first. Connect the WAN port of the router to your broadband modem. Connect the PC's to the LAN ports on the router. You will have to run a setup program on the router depending upon if you have DSl (probably using the PPPoE protocoll) or a Cable connection (probably using DHCP). Run the network setup wizzard on the Xp machine and make the floppy disk. Then run the floppy on your W98se machine. Thats basically it.

ok guys I have tried pretty much everything here,except for making the disk and I cannot figure out hiow to do this. at the end of the setup wizzard it ask's if I want to make a disk when I ck yes and hit next my cd drive does not show up on the list, my drive is E: The list has, F, G, H and I but no E. how do I make a disk??? I can tell you I am getting very frustrated. also I keep getting the local area cable is unplugged. I did get a new NIC but no difference. I know you guys keep telling me to get a router but if I don't need one for 2 pc's why get one??

Stop being so stubborn!
To access internet from the second PC, your first PC must always be up and running first.
You can NOT both access the Internet at the same time.
You are causing yourself unnecessary aggravation by insisting on stupid Internet Sharing.
What if you get a third PC or laptop?
A cheap router will sort all your problems in no time.

so are you saying that if both pc's are running, I am on one and my wife is on the other,we cannot be on the internet at the same time?? This is contrary to all I have read. I know that both pc's will have to be running and that is not a problem. As far as a laptop goes, if that happens I will go wireless and would have wasted $$$ on a router I will end up not needing. So, can anybody tell me how to make that disk??

ok,ok I conceed (sp?)defeat. Geez I keep running into brick walls on this thing.I don't have the xp disk and my xp pc does not have a floppy drive. My other pc has a cd and floppy ( I installed the cd-rw/dvd-rom) I do thank all for their input

alright, if you dont have a floppy nor the winxp cds then your only options is and you will definatly should have one: a USB drive. If not, get one from the local shop for less than $30 in whatever currency your in. stick that in, make your setup 'disk' there, then stick it in the win98 machine.

to clarify things from what RBS and everyone else is saying is that yes ICS will work, but why go through all the hassle..

simple guide:
1. you need : 1 crossover cable, 1 ethernet NIC on each pc, a USB drive (in your case).
2. The PC thats connected to the I.net MUST BE ON IF YOU WISH TO USE THE I.NET ON THE OTHER PC

3. Goto your Winxp PC 1st
[start>programs>accessories>home networking setup wiz...]
<next next next etc>
before 'create setup disk' insert your USB drive. Note what letter it is then click next on the Wiz, select your USB drive then Next etc.. when thats done, reboot.

4. On your win98 pc: insert your USB drive
[my computer>usb drive>netsetup.exe] install and reboot as necessary.
Network wiz will come up. <next next next etc>
plug in the crossover cable if not done so already.
Reboot.

5. Enjoy a (Lan) bandwidth impared Internet Connection that is Shared.

Take notes on:
- Workgroup: must be the same, character for character
- PC Names are different for identification
- IP addresses arnt doubled up - each have unique IP addresses
- File/print sharing enabled, Folders you wish to share are shared on both pcs (Winxp wont show any other folders apart from "shared documents", you will need to share others if you wish. Same with Win98.
to do this on WinXP: [folder (right click>properties>sharing tab>share this folder etc]
to do this on Win98: dont remember. too far back in my brain at hte moment. :p

that should get things rolling for you.

N3051M
I thought about the USB only thing is, and I said I keep running into brick walls, I have a Lexar 128 mb jump drive, but I cannot get it to work in my 98se pc.

Yep. thats the right device. although i have the wifi version of that, cost me more than a buck when it came out.... but serves my purposes nicely...

How does your Internet come in: via telephone, cable, satellite?
How do you connect the internet (ADSL)modem to your PC, is that RJ11, RJ45 or USB?
If it's RJ45 (the wide one that fits into a NIC or network card) you're fine with your choice, although it is not an optimal router.
No offense meant, but you should ask for advice first before you buy!

To get more info, go back to this forum's Overview page and do a 'Search this Forum' with DI-604 at the top right of this page. Plenty of threads about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back