Please help me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I recently upgraded my Windows ME :)( ) to XP Pro. I was having numerous .dll errors and I just decided to do something about it and upgrade. Three times I installed XP, and not once did it reformat the computer like I wanted it to (to delete all the random junk I had on my HD). So, after trying tons of different ways to reformat it, and not succeeding once, I decided that I would just leave it for the time being.

But, almost within the week I installed it I began receiving "NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM" errors (which is the signature of the blaster virus) and gives me 60 seconds until my computer shuts down. It took me a while to realize this was the virus, and when I discovered I had it, I downloaded the Symantec blasterworm remover and got the patch from windows. Trouble is, the blasterworm remover says I do not have it on my system and it cannot find it. I turned off my system restore before performing the scan, and it cannot find it after five tries. I'm getting kinda worried that I may be screwed until I buy a new hard drive, which I really would like to avoid if possible.

If anyone knows of anything I can do to see if I even have the virus or some variation of it, that'd be great. Thanks.

Well, I may have figured out what the problem is...but it only leads me to another problem. I thought I had installed the update to prevent the virus (which would solve all my problems) but it turns out, when I try to install the 32bit XP version, it does gets to a screen where it's "Inspecting" my system. This is after the license agreement. When it is at the "Inspecting" screen, it usually gets about 1 blue bar of progress and then randomly quits. It doesn't say there was an error, it doesnt say it must end, it just ends on its own and is nowhere to be found. I've tried plenty of times, and I'm not quite sure what I should do. Hopefully, if I could get this installed, it would solve all my problems.

:eek:

Wow, thank you so much vassil. It installed in safe mode and hopefully that will be the end of it. For all i know, it still could be on the system, but at least I got the patch installed. Thanks a lot.

-Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back