Please help - Printer Error Message - Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have received a brand new printer - Dell 1700n - installed yesterday. I keep receiving the error message: "There was an error writing to LPT1: for the printer. The printer is not ready. Make sure it is turned on and online."

This is the same error message I received from the last printer, which was replaced yesterday. Dell thought a brand new printer would fix the problem.

I have tried everything: install, uninstall, reinstall, power off, shut down, change ports, checked USB cables - NOTHING IS WORKING.

Dell is telling me I might need a new motherboard for my computer?

HELP!!!!!!!!

Thank you!

WIN 98 Printer Problem

Hi,
Have you thought about upgrading your OS to Windows XP? I shouldn't imagine that you need a new motherboard as this will be your last action to take if all else fails(Dell's moneymaking scheme). Have you also tried formatting your harddrive and putting a clean copy of win 98 on? Have you tried downloading the latest drivers for your motherboard and printer etc? Have you tried changing USB cables ? Hope i've given you an idea.

Thanks

Mark

Thank you, Mark. All helpful - I will try your suggestions. The only other issue that makes me believe it is not my computer is that two computers share the printer - although it is not a netork printer. Access is shared using the USB cables.

However, both systems operate on Windows 98, so, maybe we both need to upgrade!

Thanks again.
Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back