please help - Tearing/Artifacting - alot of info +pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, as you might have guess my name is Jonathen and I am here because I just dont know what to do anymore. My friends are no help and even "PC Techs" have no idea. So i look to you all as my last resort.

I have done all i can to my knowledge but i just dont know what to do anymore and i am at my wits end when it comes to this problem.

Here are some Examples of what I am experiencing in many games. please tell me if the links dont work and i will try to help get them working again.

Hitman - http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s118/MeowPics/Hitmanbug2.jpg

PoP - http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s118/MeowPics/PoP.jpg

Stalker - http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s118/MeowPics/Stalker1.jpg

Stalker - http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s118/MeowPics/Stalker2.jpg

--

Assuming the links all work, you should now have an idea of what happens in alot of games. Some games it less noticeable (PoP) but other it REALLY ruins the game because it only gets FAR FAR worse over time (Stalker).

- Specs and such.

My computer by no means is what anyone would consider a power house but it gets the job done with the money i had available when i got it. (Note: I did not build it myself, i probably could build a computer myself but i just have never actouly tryed)
Heres what im workin' with...
(some info ie CPU was gathered with Everest home edt.)

CPU - AMD Athlon 64, 1800 MHz (9 x200) 2800+

Memory - 2gigs of PC3200 (3 slots 1 gig in one slot and two 512 sticks in the other two slots

Power - thermaltake silent purepower 480w

Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT OC (Link)

------------

I think thats the basics of what you might need, if you need more info please ask and i will do what i can to find it.

Here is what i beleave is the problem:
1) There is something on the GFX Card that is broken
or
2) Processor is bad/malfunctioning

As far as heat goes i live in cali and my room is rather hot so, yes i know heat is playing a roll to some extent because if i play stalker for a long time the artifacts just go wild and lines go every which way. I have two Case fans 1 on the side as well as one in the back.

As you can see i got the card from BFG so you may think "they have lifetime warranties, just send it in) there lies a problem, just between me, you and the tubes that are the internet(heh) the card is more or less a hand-me-down from a friend of mine and i dont know as tho they would honor the warranty anymore. When he gave me the card, all he gave me was the plastic thing that all cards come in and one disk that was a driver iirc. I cant even get HIM to send it in for me because he is in the military now.

I got the artifacting to calm down to some degree by turning on VSync as aposed to letting it be application controled.

I have only used the one power supply with the card mainly because the PSU just cost so much at the time.

If you think that BFG would still honor the warranty then i will try to get in contact with them and see if they would but i dont know to much when it comes to Warranties and things of that nature because i have only broken small things such as headsets and in that case i just went and got another.

I know i have made my first ever post far to long but i just needed to get all the info i have on the table and if worst comes to worst i can just copy all this and move onto another forum somewhere on the net to try to get some help.

I poked around a bit on these forums and everyone here seemed very knowledgeable and nice so it was just a shot in the dark.

Please help me because i just dont know what todo anymore.

the end of my wall of text :)

Artifacting like that is usually caused by an overheating card or the card has bad RAM. Have you checked to see what temp. the card is running at. There should be a temperature tab in the video card settings.

I have been playing stalker since my 1st post to get a real temp read and that tab you mentioned is at 71C core temp and 50ish ambient temp

Your card is OC'd out of the box, heh? I think that's part of your problem. I've tried OC'ing a few vid cards and they seem real sensitive. I would set vid card back to stock specs, at least to try out.

Plus, I would take comp cover off and blow out all dust, clean all fans and re-seat the vid card........................

Let us know what happens.

-

Thank you for the response, i was afraid i might have been forgotten.

I can do the other stuff like clean the fans etc. i just actually did that two or three days ago.

However i have no idea how to do anything with OCing and such but for now, was always afraid of just killing w/e i was over clocking.

71 is a little too hot. Take out the card and blow out th heatsink and fan. Also download and install Coolbits. It will ad core and memory clock speed adjustments to the driver control panel. Then you can try under clocking the card if its not a heat issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back