Please help!!! Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corru

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to this site and this is my very first post here. this is my problem.
I had internet connectivity issues. I called the great tech support agent at gateway where I purchased a 3 year warranty. the lady who helped me took an hour to somehow install another copy of win xp home on my system. Now when I try to log on it asks me to please select the operating system you want to use. It gives me two options both whi say windows xp home edition the new version boots up to the desktop fine with no trouble but all my files, photos music, and business information is gone as well as all desktop icons adress books and everything. It is basicly a bare bones brand new install. when I try to access the other version of XP i get the following message
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
Windows root\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file"

Of course those gateway techs have no idea what they did or how to repair it. they keep telling me that I have to just reformat the whole thing and lose all my info. I hate to do that so I decided I would check and see if anyone here has any suggestions for me in order to restore this file that seems to be missing
Thank you in advabnce for any help

Error on start-up

Go to www.microsoft.com and click on support. in the search Knowlage database type in Article ID # 320252 This will tell you what you need to do to fix the problem. I could copy and paste it here but it may be to big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back