Please help with my Serial ATA HD....and Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there.

I am having issues with my new computer that I am building. I picked up a Giga-byte K8NS Ultra 939 MOBO, AMD 64 3500+ along with 2 gb ram and a Seagate Serial 120 GB hd. I slapped it all together and am in the process of tring to install windows XP and it says it can not find any Hard Disck Drives installed.

I am pretty sure that the CMOS is all config right as it is now seeing the drive when the system loads...it just does not see it when Windows tried to install. Can anyone please help me?!?!?!?!?

I am about a pube away from taking it in to Best buy and I would fell like an ***** doing that.

This is the first Serial that I am installing so if there is something that I am forgetting please let me know. I have the 2 cables in and connected...I just can get the darn WIN to see it.

Let me know.

Thank You!!!

Xodius_LV :monkey:

Do you still need the drivers on a floppy for the A64 boards or does BIOS have some boot magic for it? With older boards you needed a floppy of the SATA controller drivers, and then hit F6 when it asks if you need to load SCSI drivers.

damn, I gotta get new hardware so I can stay current with these questions.

it came with a cd but the CD does not load anything. I tried the seagate CD download and it gave me an error of ...can't load BDOS Kernal file A:\IBMDOS.com.

I am tring a couple of searches on gigabyte seeing if there is an *****s guide to using a MB, lol.

OK, you have a PC that works, cause you're posting in here. See how smart I am? :haha: Put your driver CD in that computer. find the drivers folder, specifically the SATA driver folder and there should be two sets. One for SATA RAID, which I don't think you're running, and one for plain SATA. Open that folder and copy the 4-6 files in it to a blank floppy drive. Now when you start up Windows XP install soon after the start it will ask for you to hit 'F6' to install additional drivers. Hit 'F6', it will go on installing setup files for now. Eventually it will ask if you have additional (possibly SCSI) drivers to install, tell it yes and it will say insert the floppy, follow the instructions. that should get your SATA drive recognised. then it's just a normal install.

If you can't find the drivers, lemme know what brand and model it is, I'll find them on the web for you.

continuing hell

Well I did that and I installed 2 files or drivers and it still does not recognize the thing. It is a Seagate 120 GB model # ST3120827AS

I installed the 3112 and the 3112r but they didnt work...I am clueless. Please help.

are there two pairs of SATA connectors? Could you be hooked up to the nForce3 SATA controller instead of the Silicon Image 3112 SATA controller?

I couldn't find the driver at SilImage.com but here's a link to 3112 non-RAID "BASE" drivers. As far as I can tell they are generic and not for any particular boards, they are recent. The .exe file will extract the 8 files to a floppy. you can then use that floppy for your F6 install

http://www.tastycomputers.com/_private/downloads/silimg3x12/silimg3x12_12057whql_f6_base.exe

here's the page I found them on....

http://www.tastycomputers.com/support/download/silimg3x12_sataraid.htm#installit

Cool, I will try that one in the morning. I sure hoe this thing works. I am having some serious withdrawls fromt he puter, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back