Please recomend a good surge protector for my new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

flowerpower

I need a quality surge protector to protect my system in case of an outage or another problem. I was thinking of picking up this Tripp Lite because it has a high joule rating:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812120302

Someone told me that a surge suppressor should have a breaker built in, i can't tell if this one has it or not and i don't know how important it is to have it. Is this a good unit for my system or can someone recomend something better?

Hi flowerpower :)

I use a Belkin 8-Socket SurgeMaster Maximum Series with Telephone Protection > Here it works (i live on the edge of a big city and we do get surges) and its good to keep your system safe.

Thanks for your answer! Do you or anyone happen to know what to look for in a surge suppressor, besides the high joule rating? If someone wants to recomend another quality surge protector please feel free to do so, i'd appreciate any responses.

A little more than i want to spend, but if you say it is good may be i should pick it up. One question though, will a UPS protect my system like a surge ptotector? Lets say there is an outage, will it save my system?

I have 2 APC battery backup protection units - 800 and 850 watt.

My original has seen me through numerous power surges and interruptions with flying colours. A side benefit is the voltage regulation and filters and the protection for ethernet/telephone links.

Basically, it is like insurance. Depends on what your comp/data is worth I guess.

:)

I understand that it like insurance, but i obviously can't afford to spend that much, that's why i figured a surge suppressor would be sufficent, or possibly a low cost UPS like the one suggested by halo71. I don't get a lot of outages in my area, but it happens. Any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back