Plexiglass cases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using home equiptment(getting Homedepot to cut me the peices, and using my own drill to screw or glue or whatever everything togethor), is it hard to do for a complete newbie? As in a person whos never done anything with modding?

You aren't building an entire case out of plexiglass are you? That doesn't sound very wise to me. Plexiglass is ok for a window in a side panel or even an entire side panel but if you are trying to make the entire case from plexiglass you are asking for trouble. Plexiglass attracts static electricity like there is no tomorrow.

There is a good reason why most of a computer's case is made of mostly metal, it forms a sort of chasis(floating) ground. That is why everyone always says that if you don't have a wrist strap you should grab the case before messing with sensitive components inside. You discharge the static from your body to the case instead of directly to your mobo or vid card, etc...

Now if you are going to build a metal framework and use plexiglass panels that would be safer. In that case you'd probably be better off getting a generic case with removable side panels and replacing them with plexiglass panels. Less work and you still get the general effect.

Well, if it is any consolation, your power plug grounds your computer. But you'll have to leave it plugged in while you work on it. :) :dead:

I have to say that would be very tough. Plexiglass is simple to cut with a bandsaw or dremmel, so cutting it shouldn't be much of a problem.

In order to design an entire case though, you'll need at least part of the frame for one for such things as the back and front plates etc.. You'll need to make sure everything lines up inside (motherboard screws, fan bays, drive bays) which may also be tough if you are doing it totally from scratch.

I am not saying you can't do it, but it will be quite an accomplishment for a first timer like yourself. Definitely a cool idea though.

It would be easier to just change the sides for plexiglass ones, than trying to build a completely plexiglass case. I have done this myself, and it still looks pretty decent just changing the sides of your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back