Plug and Play software device Enumerator and Service Pack 2! No sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasper1106

[SOLVED]

Hi guys,

After a reformat yesterday due to a new hard drive everything was fine, I then couldn't understand why the sound suddenly disappeared. Reading a post on the net after trawling for hours it has become clear that when Service Pack 2 went on all the sound disappeared.

I looked through the device manager today to find that "Plug and Play software device Enumerator" has a yellow exclamation mark by it. With the properties:
"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (code31)

I located the swenum.inf file on the Internet which is the drivers for this device so I have tried to reinstall but each time it turns up with this yellow exclamation mark.

I've reinstalled the drivers for soundmax from the Toshiba CD as well as downloading the fresh .zip for the sound card from their website.

System Info: Windows XP Home
Celeron CPU 2.60GHZ
496 RAM
Toshiba Satellite A40

So after a lot of searching and no answers, I decided to restore back to Service Pack 1. Sure enough on boot the sound was all working and the Enumerator under System was working no probs. So I then run Windows Update yet again, after another 3 hours of downloading and installing, service pack 2 was for the 2nd time applied to my system. On reboot, yes all the sound has disappeared and I am back to square one with the Enumerator having problems.

Any help would be greatly received, thank you in advance!

Hi CCT,

Thank you for your quick reply. I followed all directions and it installed the Enumerator once more - however after the reboot it still remains in my device manager with the yellow exclamation mark.

I then tried disabling the device, which worked but on enabling it again, back to the yellow mark. (thought it was worth a try).

Any more ideas :S

Interestingly enough, I don't have that inf file on my comp but do have the swenum.sys driver in C:\Windows\system32\drivers .

Date is 04/08/2004

Do a 'search' and find yours - I believe the cab files can be extracted to the win32\drivers folder - pick the driver from the older cab since that is probably the SP1 version that 'works'

Hi CCT,

Thanks again for your reply. After 2 days of searching I have finally found a solution on another forum, this fix supposedly came from another forum before that, so whoever wrote up this fix, thank you very much as it fixed the problem. For anyone else having this nightmare:

Hi to all! This message goes out to all of you who hadn't the luck to get their sound back to life with the given solutions in this thread: I followed all steps, but still my "PnP software enumerator" (or in german "PnP Softwaregeräte Enumerator") told me that he couldn't load the needed drivers. Consequently I had still no sound. I also made a windows repair install, but the problem was still there. After hundreds of trial & errors I finally came to a solution for WIN XP!:
1.) Deinstall your sound drivers. Save streamci.dll and swenum.sys and machine.inf to a temp folder as mentioned above.
2.) Deinstall your failing "PnP software enumerator".
3.) Go into the registry via regedit or the editor of your choice. In there close all keys so you just see "my work", "workplace" or whatever the englisch name for the german "Arbeitsplatz" is (it has a little computer symbol next to its name, I guess you know what I mean.)
4.) Then search for "swenum". Delete every key that you find. Before you do so I highly recommend to create a system restore point or a backup of your registry, just in case something goes wrong. You have to delete the whole key, not just the line with "swenum" in it. For example: You'll find the word "swenum" in a key where you can also find "pnp software enumerator" and some other entries. Again :You have to delete the whole key. On the left side you see an open folder in which you are in right now, deleteing this folder means to delete the whole key. Do so, it the quickest and easiest way. If there comes a warning that you don't have the permission to do so, right click the folder and give yourself the permissions to delete the folder ;-) Do this for all keys where you find the "swenum" in it. You should find about 5-10 keys.
5.) After you finished close the editor and reopen it again. Research the registry to make sure their is no more swenum entry.
6.) Restart, then check your registry again. Just for the case Win XP has reinstalled something. If you find another "swenum" entry delete it. Do also search for "PnP software enumerator". If you have done right before you shouldn't find anything. If you do anyway, delete the whole key again.
7.) Go to "windows/system32/drivers" and delete swenum.sys. Also go to "windows/system32" and delete the file streamci.dll (don't do that if you have forgotton to follow step1 of my description!)
8.) Now reinstall your "PnP software enumerator" following the steps mentioned in the posts above. (In the hardware manager click "have disk" and choose your temp folder and the inf file in there, choose "PnP software enumerator" under standard devices or something like that).
9.) If you have done right you should have the "PnP software enumerator" back without showing any errors. If you have done right Win XP shouldn't ask you to restart. Now install your sound drivers, restart and be happy again. I hope this solution did the trick for those who didn't find the posts above solving their problems. Maybe some steps can be left out, but I recommend to follow all of them, because I'm not sure where the errors is hiding exactly.

'8.) Now reinstall your "PnP software enumerator" following the steps mentioned in the posts above. (In the hardware manager click "have disk" and choose your temp folder and the inf file in there, choose "PnP software enumerator" under standard devices or something like that).'

People will need that URL or the instructions for re-install he mentions.

Otherwise, great material.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back