Plug for power cable on back of tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandpaul

Hello,
I am having trouble with the prongs where the power cable is plugged in on the back of the tower. The computer does not come on unless I jiggle the prongs. The computer stays on just fine, then, so long as I don't turn it off. If I have to turn it off, then to get it on the next time, I have to jiggle the prongs again. I have already replaced the power cord, so I know it's not that. Have you ever heard of this happening? Is it possible to replace this part?
Thank you for your help! Maggie

That power cable goes into the power supply. If the cable is good, there is something wrong with the prongs of the power supply. Do you have a spare to swap to confirm?

He means the prongs. By spreading them (bending outward) you might get a better electrical contact with the power cord. If that doesn't work, I believe you'll have to replace the power supply.

I spread the prongs some, and the plug fits tighter. Still doesn't turn on right away. I think the computer must have to warm up some. The reason I think part was the prongs is that if I jiggled the plug on the computer, sometimes then the computer would come on. I've never heard of one that needs to warm up, but I guess this one is like that.
Thank you for all of your help! Maggie

It doesn't need to warm up. Your power supply must have a loose connection inside or a short. Either way you appear to need a new one. They are not that difficult to replace. Do not go for the cheapest one you can find. This is one item you shouldn't skimp on.

I can see about replacing the power supply. I don't have one right now, so will have to buy one.
Thank you for all of your help! Maggie

By the way, if I don't replace it, then will it hurt my computer to just "go out" some day? Or, do I neet to replace it right away (and not use my computer until it is replaced)? Thank you, Maggie

Hi Maggie,
The power supply's plug socket must be damaged. This can happen by jamming the computer's back hard against a wall or cabinet while the power cord is attached to the computer. I really don't think there will be a problem running the computer like this, unless it starts shutting off in the middle of doing something... and Maggie, there are many sizes and types of ATX power supplies. If your computer is a mini, mid, or full tower, or desktop system the size of the power supply will matter. 350 Watts is a good power rating for most general use computers.

Thanks Mailpup for pointing that out to me

It's hard to predict but potentially any problem with the power supply could damage some of the other components.

BTW, so you don't a bad situation worse, consider posting your choice of power supply BEFORE buying it for general comments. Some good brands include, but are not limited to, Antec, Enermax, Seasonic, Sparkle, Fortron (FSP) and PC Power & Cooling.

Edit: Tmagic650, she said she already replaced the power cord so unless that one is also bad, that leaves the power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back