Plugging PN1 Jumpers in w/o a Mobo Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThugLife

I recently got an a410n HP, and I took the mobo out and put it in a new case so I could fit cooling and all that goodness in it

But in reconnecting everything, I realized real quick the PN1 cables are very different for the new case, and since I bought the HP preassembled I didn't get a manual. Also the HP site is the most retarted thing I've seen in a while, and it's not cooperating

Does anyone know how to connect all these little cords? As of now the computer wont even turn on. Also, when doing something like this, should I have everything connected when I go to turn it on? Ive read HD's should be d/c'd but I think thats only when you're starting from scratch. My HD already has windows and all that on it

The only thing I know about my mobo is that it's a Gamila =[

Any help would be appreciated

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot

PN1?
I'm thinking you mean wire connectors for front panel buttons.
ie: power on
power led
reset
HDD led
if so then trial and error will work...
but need to know first if this is what you mean...
G'Luck

yea those are what I mean, and theres another thing i was curious about, I got the HP with an AMD processor- yet theres a power cable (4 pin) thats supposedly for intel only- and I clearly remember it being connected when it was in the old case

Should that be in too?

Edit: I never thought to ask this- will it work even if the little lights and such aren't plugged in right? Or do I need to do that first

Hmmmm?

ThugLife said:
I got the HP with an AMD processor- yet theres a power cable (4 pin) thats supposedly for intel only- and I clearly remember it being connected when it was in the old case

Should that be in too?Yes

will it work even if the little lights and such aren't plugged in right? yes
But only the led's. You will need the power and reset buttons connected
in order to start the machine.

There should be either:
a bundle of wires(in a ribbon) or a set of wires(each twisted)
comming from the front panel.
each should be marked for what they are:
HDD led
power Led
Reset
Power on.
Reset and Power on are the most needed.
On the MoBo, ussually near the bios battery are some pins
that look similar to ::::::.:
It does not matter which way the reset and power on are attached, just where. The Led's go on one way polarized +-.

Find the pin set on the MoBo, and let us know
what it looks like.
Sometimes the labels are silk screened on the MoBo,
and somtimes color coded and somtimes none.
Post back and don't give up

Ok I took the 4 pin power cord out and was still able to make it light, but then I tried hooking something else up and now im back to square one

anyway heres how my pins look

Usb1
::::.

Usb2

???

I plugged the cord i know to be usb into usb 2, and then I took the other cords: HDD LED, PWR LED, PWR SW and RESET and I was able to plug those in properly- heres what it read on the mobo

PWELED PWRBTN
+HDLED RESET

so i put them horizantally, kinda like this ==.

Now I'm really stumped cause thats in right, and I thought everything else was =[

I dont get any lights or fans, and when I did for a few brief moments, the monitor read no signal

So any more ideas? I tried taking that little battery out and putting it back in to reset the cmos, but that didnt work

Keep in mind this isnt a from scratch build, the hd's got windows installed and everything

But I'm lost regardless

Is this all one plug?

PWELED PWRBTN
+HDLED RESET

I would'nt make too many changes all at once
so we can identify what works and what does'nt.

a power cable (4 pin) thats supposedly for intel only-
does this MoBo have a block socket this plug fits into
and does the new case/psu have the four pin intel plug?
Also have you changed any hardware?
If not then your windows install should be fine, don't add anything just yet.

nope theyre all seperate, and the power led is polarized

yea I know i moved ahead a little quick, and now I got nothin

And na no hardware changes, I pretty much took the old computer and put it into a new case, and its still bein stupid

for now im using the same psu, i tried to minimize using anything different- and the mobo does have a slot for it right next to the major power input

heres a picture of the side with all the connections

uh.jpg

Very cool! I can see what I think may be the trouble.
It looks like you have the front panel wires in correctly.

Is your power connector plug a 20 pin or a 24 pin?
My new psu has both the 4 pin and an additional
and removeable 4 pin that is part of the main power plug.
My MoBo required I slide the extra 4 pin off the main plug
to fit the 20 pin socket on MoBo, not using either....

Try just a bare bones boot and get you into bios.
I'm thinking maybe unhook everything but the front panel
wires, power plug so that the only things on board is
CPU, Ram, Video, power plug.
Remove any pci cards, leave video in and unhook ide, floppy
usb and cdroms. Of course leave mouse/keyboard/monitor.

This has got to feel like a real drag things should'nt seem this
hard but one way or the other we'll get it!

yea im pretty sure i got the front panel wires in right finally, but still things aren't working

As for how many pins it is, I'm not sure- but Im also pretty sure it's good how it is, cause Im using the same psu and mobo as I did in my old working comp

However that could be the problem in another sense- same psu

I have a 600w one coming any day now, but as of now im using a 250w one

Recently I have NOT been able to get the lights or fans on, so Im thinking its my PSU now. The green light in the back comes on when its plugged in, but nothing else works

I tried using a multimeter and plugging the 2 testers into the molex cords in every possible way, and I got a 0 reading for all; then again just for a reference, I slid the side panel off on my ****ty computer (which works) and tested one if it's molexes (while on <.<) and still got 0

I took the case off my old psu and tried to find some exposed metal to try a few more tests; I was able to get voltage on the 2 cords coming directly out of where you plug into- which didnt surprise me- but I couldnt get a reading anywhere else in that thing

For now I'm gonna give it a rest till the new psu comes in (should be today or tomorrow for sure)

But when I get it and Im trying to boot, I should only have cpu ram and video card in? No HD? Im kinda lost on that part cause it has windows on it- but then again I've reset my CMOS.. so I really dont know what to even expect when it does turn on, but I dont think itll be pretty lol

Thanks for the help though, I'll keep updating when anything happens (Im at work till 5 though -_-)

EDIT: I forgot to ask, is that little black cylinder with the '+' on it the speaker? It hasn't made any beep noises yet, but it looks just like one

ThugLife said:
As for how many pins it is, I'm not sure- but Im also pretty sure it's good how it is, cause Im using the same psu and mobo as I did in my old working comp
However that could be the problem in another sense- same psu-
"yeah starting to look that way" :suspiciou
Thanks for the help though, I'll keep updating when anything happens (Im at work till 5 though -_-)No problem...we'll be here

EDIT: I forgot to ask, is that little black cylinder with the '+' on it the speaker? It hasn't made any beep noises yet, but it looks just like one Yes it could be Does it have a blk wire and a red wire?
For now I'm gonna give it a rest till the new psu comes in (should be today or tomorrow for sure)

But when I get it and Im trying to boot, I should only have cpu ram and video card in? No HD? Im kinda lost on that part cause it has windows on it- but then again I've reset my CMOS.. so I really dont know what to even expect when it does turn on, but I dont think itll be pretty lol seems a good thing at times to back off a bit, to get fresh perspective
Method of my maddness
This is what I call a bare bones boot..nothing but the following:
1. MoBo in case w/ psu
2.Video card
3.Ram
4.CPU
5.keyboard
6.Monitor
All this will do (if everything works) is allow you to boot
to the bios. showing that all the above works.
If it does not start up then we can eliminate things from here
in order to find the failing hardware.(this way no HHD at risk)
Once succefully done, then one at a time I throw devices into the mix:
1. primary HDD
2. secondary HDD
3. cdroms/dvd's
4. sound cards/nic cards
If all you have done at this point is reset cmos, and no hardware changes,
your windows install should be fine.
type to ya soon!

woaaaaaaah woah woah

resetting Cmos uninstalls windows?! Unless you were assuming my hd didnt have windows on it, cause it does

I was told it just resets some bios settings

Please tell me I didnt uninstall windows D:

But yea thats what I've been doing, the barebones boot- not even the kb yet, just to minimize cords bein everywhere (you should see my room, it's a MESS - ill post a pic later cause it does kinda show how I've been handling my computer problems :rolleyes:

EDIT: Is there anyway I can tell if my PSU is working? I took a multimeter and tried to get some readings last night. I got nothing when testing a loose molex, but then again I got nothing when I checked a molex from a working computer >_<

ThugLife said:
woaaaaaaah woah woah

resetting Cmos uninstalls windows?! Unless you were assuming my hd didnt have windows on it, cause it does

I was told it just resets some bios settings

Please tell me I didnt uninstall windows D:NO you didn't.. sorry I wasn't clear there.

But yea thats what I've been doing, the barebones boot- not even the kb yet, just to minimize cords bein everywhere (you should see my room, it's a MESS - ill post a pic later cause it does kinda show how I've been handling my computer problems (I live dat way 24/7) :haha: :haha: I would have the keyboard hooked up you'll need it in the bios.

EDIT: Is there anyway I can tell if my PSU is working? I took a multimeter and tried to get some readings last night. I got nothing when testing a loose molex, but then again I got nothing when I checked a molex from a working computer.

At this stage of our game the only thing I could suggest would be to re-install back to old case...as bare setup. Atleast we now it worked there...?!? :confused:

For the sake of others that may jump into this thread...click the link above on the left "User profile" and fill out your system info.. it makes it easier to see what we're dealin with..
Threads like this one help out ALOT of guest visitors that have same troubles.
Don't give up!!! :bounce:

whew -.-

Anyway I was reccomended this site when looking around
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/Power_Supply_Calculator.php?cmd=AMD

And after entering my info- It says it reccomends at least 350- So I dont feel too bad now, maybe it IS my 250 PSU! I suppose it's just a waiting game

Now for what to do in the mean time; I considered trying to put it back in the old case- I tried doing it the ghetto way

I took out all the usb and pn1 etc.. cords that are from the new case- took my old case, and plugged it's cords into the mobo while it was still screwed into the new one. That didn't work, but I didn't really expect it to

Im hoping I just fried my PSU, cause if the site reccomended 350 watts- plus all the little lights and meters and extra fans my case came with; it's possible?

All I know is it's gonna seem like an eternity till that PSU comes in (though it's possible it's on my door step this very moment)

Thanks for all the help so far though man, it shouldnt be much longer until 'the villian' is complete

It's pretty sweet lookin (much more so when its fkin working)
http://www.xoxide.com/aspire-x-cruiser-case-black.html

And Im mounting this thing on it: http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/71bc/

Also getting it a cigarette lighter, and some watercooling ( Which I desperately wanted to make beer cooling, but that wont work =[ )

Did I mention the cigarette lighter goes in a bay slot and has a beer holder in it too?

Speaking of beer, just wait till you see the picture- you shall see much beer..

And Ill be updating once that bastard gets mailed :D

:hotbounce
:eek: THAT IS SWEET! :eek:
:hotbounce
With some ghetto sounds out of the speakers
some hardcore gaming
Now if only you could work in a refrig that cools
your brew and sys! :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back