Plz Help me with my hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys.....
i m looking to buy a new video card...preferably a 6600GT or 6800..but my problem is that i dont know abt my PC slots....i tried CPU-Z software..here r the details
CPU:processor:
Name Intel Pentium4
Codename: Northwood
Package: Socket 478 mPGA
Technology: 0.13um......VoltageL 1.520c...(changing)
Specification: Inter(R) Pentium4 CPU 3.06GHz
Core speed: 3066MHz
Bus speed: 133.3
Cache:L1 Data: 8kBytes

MAINBOARD:
Manufacturer: MSI
Model: MS-6566E
Southbridge Intel 82801DB
BIOS: American Megatrends
Date: 4/2/01

GRAPHIC INTERFACE:
Version AGP version 2.0
Transfer Rate: 4x
Max.Supported: 4x
Side Band: not supported
2 slots for RAM: each has 256mb installed

i've tried to give the important specifications..not all...but the Graphics Interface details r complete
ok...i think there r no PCIe links...but there r 6 white PCI slots in which Network adapter and something else is installed...AND...i have a built-in GeForce 440MX..that came with it...which i guess is inserted in the black AGP slot which is at the top of the PCI slots...i got this PC in very early 2004....
my question is .....what latest cards can i install..PCI or AGP
i've read that Nvidia 5series upto 256mb r the 1's....but r these agp or PCI or both...and will i be able to play games such as BF2 and S.Cell 4 on it
sorry for my noob type questions guys...but obviously i m not a techie....
i really want to play new games....and i m looking forward for ur help
Thanx

I can almost guarantee you have AGP slots. And you will also need a beefier power supply.

Your system's age will also seriously bottleneck any graphics card of that type.

Here is a link to your specific motherboard:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=845E_Max

You can install an AGP (PCI, not PCI-E, is a slower interface) card but your board is only designed for 4X. I have read that you can install an 8X AGP card as long as it is 1.5v in design. However, I have heard the opposite arguments that you don't want to do this. This would be a good question in the Video Card forums (do a search; I would bet the rest of my year's salary this has been asked many times).

Modern games are very graphics intensive. Also, the wisdom of today is that if you are going to game you need 2 gigs of RAM though not everyone holds to this. I would say you need at least one gig of RAM.

Also, what Tedster said. I would suggest begin saving your money little by little and build your next system. Plenty of people can help you here.

k guys...but my doubt is that if my AGP slot is 4x and that i can have a 8x card installed(obviously controversially)...then y doesis the CPU-Z software tells that the AGP version is 2.0....or is it like that the version is something else and the slot is really AGP4x...and can i make ne use of the PCI slots...
or using the AGP slot will be better?

PCI is a slower interface. AGP is faster. Both are basically dead, but there have been a few good AGP releases in the last year and you can occasionally find a PCI card, but PCI-Express is the reigning standard now. Your motherboard specs show it has been designed for an AGP 4X card.

This link may help or muddy up the water for you:

http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=55495&highlight=AGP

thanx for ur help..that page did help...but i still want to confirm 1 thing....
if i put a good 8X card... compatible with my 4x slot....how much performance will it boost...if it gives 1/2 of wat the 8X card can give in total...it will be ok....or should i still look for the best 4X card only?
thanx again

a_b said:
thanx for ur help..that page did help...but i still want to confirm 1 thing....
if i put a good 8X card... compatible with my 4x slot....how much performance will it boost...if it gives 1/2 of wat the 8X card can give in total...it will be ok....or should i still look for the best 4X card only?
thanx again

I would go to the video forums here and 1) do a search on AGP cards and 2) if you can't find what you are looking for make a post about your certain question.

Sorry I can't be more help concerning this issue but I don't want to hazeard a guess when actual facts are what you need. Good luck!

yes Route...i think ur rite.....actually i was excited abt it ...so i kept putting queries in this thread....but certainly i will go for direct threads abt my questions which definately can help me more
thanx for ur really usefull help

no need to worry with AGP it is backwards compatible. an 8x card will work fine in a 4x system.

Tedster said:
no need to worry with AGP it is backwards compatible. an 8x card will work fine in a 4x system.

Tedster, for my own edification, why is it then that some people argue that an 8X designed card will not work in a 4X motherboard slot? I am not questioning your point; I am trying to gain more knowledge in this area.

And, what is "lost" when you put an *X card in a 4X slot? Thanks.

well Route...i have researched a lot yesterday and today....and i 've found that there r 3 points

1.u can place a 4x/8x card in ur agp 2.0(4x compatible) slot....and obviously the normal 4x card too

2. u can only place voltage compatible cards regardless of it being 4x or 4x/8x compatible...i.e if ur mobo's volt is 1.5 then only a 1.5v card can be fitted

3. i havent search a hell lot...but reasonably....around 80% ppl concerned with this matter say that there is 1% improvement in performance.if u put a 4x/8x card in the proper 8x slot as compared with its insertion into a 4x slot..

u might have known these facts but actually the 3rd point was quite important..so..
but atlast i've to a gr8 deal found my answers...but there r still some doubts though..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back