PNY Verto GeForce 6600 PCIe problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright, ill be a little blunt, i know nothing about computer hardware and all the jargon that goes along with it, so if im not making sense just be patient with me.

i got a new graphics card for christmas, the aforementioned. nVidia 256MB PCIe 6600.

after about a week or two of using my new graphics card i started to notice a trend in performance. at first everything was fine. no problems. then out of nowhere the screen started to freeze up, the image on my desktop would be displaced, anotherwords it looked like lines running up and down my screen in the wrong order, and then the monitor would shut off for a second and pop back on. i could move the mouse but not click on anything, and then it would turn off for another second and then be fine again.

so it did that once every 4 or 5 days. now, almost a month after christmas its doing it 2-3 times a day. and its really starting to bother me.

i went and updated drivers off nvidias website.

i have a 3.2Ghz processor, 1GB DDR Shared RAM, ... i believe i have proper specs to run this graphics card.

Ive been reading around and i did searches and it seems the 6600 is causing a lot of problems to users.

ive been told this might be a power issue, how do i check the wattage coming into my computer?

oh and one more thing,... a week ago it got stuck on a blue error screen saying it was stuck in an "infinite loop" and to check the drivers. so i updated... well just today it got stuck on ablue error screen telling me "windows shut down to prevent damage to the computer" and it said in the file "nvid_disp4" (i believe that was the filename)... then i tried holding the button in to turn the computer off (hard) and just reboot, and either the fan or the processor sounded like it was picking up excessive speed, and so i pulled the power cord out thinking something bad was about to happen.

anyways, this freezing up and displacement stuff is really getting me worried. any help would be appreciative. thanks.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

We need to know what psu(power supply unit) you have. Make ,and wattage.

If you open your case. It`s the square large box near the top of your computer where the power cable connects. It should have a label on the side, that says how many watts(IE 350watts etc) it`s rated at, and what make the psu is.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

my card worked for a while but now all of a sudden its starting to act up again. and it seems to be because of room temperature.

when it was mildly warm in my room the card worked fine, but now that the temperature has dropped and its colder in my room i cant even start windows without the screen being jumbled up and freezing on me.

i have the latest drivers, i tried checking the PSU but id have to take it apart to find out the supply on it because it doesnt state it on the outside. i have a dell computer 8400 series if that helps out?

i have searched and searched the internet and it seems that there is something wrong with the 6600 make of nvidia graphics cards and LCD monitors, nearly every troubleshooting page i come across my problem is the same as every elses and its near impossible to fix?!?!

terrible graphics card, terrible experience.

Your dell should have a 350w psu, which shoul be enough power for your card.
You could have a defective video card. Also check your monitor cable and make sure it's tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back