Poll: Should there be a Half Life sequel??

Should there be a Half Life sequel??

• YES ( of course)

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • NO (it would ruin the first one)

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • What's Half Life?

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Cucumber

Half Life 2!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wondering, who thinks there should be a HL2??
With Half Life being supposedly the best game EVER!! Would a new one be good or would it ruin the first one???

I don't think that Sierra should do sequel.
I think Gordon Freeman has had his time in the spotlight. What I do think they should do is release a game with a completely different theme and story with an enhanced Half Life engine, or even rewrite the Half life engine. CS:Condition Zero isn't what I mean. Or even utilise another game engine. As long as it has the same atmospheric feel as Half Life it will be great no matter what its called ;)

Originally posted by Arris
I don't think that Sierra should do sequel.
I think Gordon Freeman has had his time in the spotlight.

Agreed... They've done what could be done with the game, and should move on to another part of the universe... (If not a totally different universe...)

As long as it has the same atmospheric feel as Half Life it will be great no matter what its called ;)

No argument there :)

Didn't Valve Software develop the game and not Sierra?

If HL2 does come out, hopefully the story line won't dissapoint. I didn't really quite like the last few levels (Zen I believe) of HL.

Originally posted by lokem
Didn't Valve Software develop the game and not Sierra?

If HL2 does come out, hopefully the story line won't dissapoint. I didn't really quite like the last few levels (Zen I believe) of HL.

Yeah. Sierra published it but the development team was Valve.
The Zen levels were awfully painful. Especially all that jumping from one small floating island to another. Much preferred the escape from Black Mesa and the fights with the commandos...

I'd like the idea of a Half-Life 2 but to be honest I think the first is greatly over-rated. The first had one thing to me which stood out - fighting the marines - before & after that section/chapter is forgettable.

The fps genre is becomming cliche. The only thing they can add to HL2 is better graphics. We need a new genre.

Yeah. Sierra published it but the development team was Valve.
The Zen levels were awfully painful. Especially all that jumping from one small floating island to another. Much preferred the escape from Black Mesa and the fights with the commandos...

Agreed. To escape from Black Mesa, you actually had to use some skills and not luck and having to press the QuickLoad key over and over again jumping on the darn platforms :D

I think they should do a sequal, I mean EVERYBODY is these days. And some companies go well beyond. Should there not be a Quake 4 or Doom 2 or Duke 2, UT 2.

Speaking of Duke, man there is one game that nobody is gonna remember if it ever comes out with the sequal.

But I think they need to really look at a sequal as a means to better the game not just expand it. I did like most of it but yes the end was way overboard.

Now if they did one like Return to Wolfenstein or Medal of Honor then that would be a great game.

Originally posted by boeingfixer
I think they should do a sequal, I mean EVERYBODY is these days. And some companies go well beyond. Should there not be a Quake 4 or Doom 2 or Duke 2, UT 2.

Agreed! I think the next version of Quake should only be a showcase to the engine. Not a full game itself.

Now if they did one like Return to Wolfenstein or Medal of Honor then that would be a great game.

If they do decide to come out with sequels, I really hope that they make the sequels a LOT longer than the current ones. MoH is too short for a 2 CD game.

Originally posted by lokem

Agreed! I think the next version of Quake should only be a showcase to the engine. Not a full game itself.

If they do decide to come out with sequels, I really hope that they make the sequels a LOT longer than the current ones. MoH is too short for a 2 CD game.

I agree Lokem. There is nothing like a sequal that is to short. Do I hear Rainbow 6 covert ops ?? Whats up with only 3 levels ??

Ohh and BTW, are you following me ? The last two I followed up on you quoted me ?? Just kidding you, great to see good posters like yourself here.

I agree Lokem. There is nothing like a sequal that is to short. Do I hear Rainbow 6 covert ops ?? Whats up with only 3 levels ??

The only game that's kinda long for a 2 CD game is AvP2 and C&C: Renegade. Perhaps I haven't spent too much time on those compared to MoH :) Haven't tried Rainbow 6 yet, is it any good?

Ohh and BTW, are you following me ? The last two I followed up on you quoted me ?? Just kidding you, great to see good posters like yourself here.

Heh... Just happened to be at the right place at the right time I suppose!

half life 2, eh?... if it's letting Mr. Gordon running around shooting aliens again, i'd say no. he should just stay home and lie in bed for a few years after all that action ;)
so i guess i'll say no.

Originally posted by Ai Hate
half life 2, eh?... if it's letting Mr. Gordon running around shooting aliens again, i'd say no. he should just stay home and lie in bed for a few years after all that action ;)
so i guess i'll say no.

Agreed.
Do we really need another RTCW or MOH:AA?

What we need is either a new genre or an advancement to the current fps genre in someway other than just graphics. Half Life originally brought some interesting changes to the table. The most innovation I have seen in the last couple of years as far as first person shooter go is Volition's Red Faction with its Geo-Mod technology that let you truely destroy the environment, not just the occasional breakable box... ;)
I suppose having AI comrades in MOH was a nice change but its not going to change the whole fps scene. I know its a lot to ask for but its what it needs!!!
Aside from that only online play seems to offer new experiences and challenges. The single player games are just sparklier versions of Doom! I'm not pinning my hopes on DoomIII bringing forth a massive change to the fps genre but I hope that it does.

The most innovation I have seen in the last couple of years as far as first person shooter go is Volition's Red Faction with its Geo-Mod technology that let you truely destroy the environment, not just the occasional breakable box... ;)

But even that could have used some more work... I mean, you can blow away the entire wall, but the door still stands there...!
But other than that the GeoMod is very good...

.02$

I agree that there need to be a lot of changes to the FPS genre for it to be groundbreaking. This not only applies to the FPS genre, but I guess the RTS genre as well (not so sure about that coz I'm not a fan of RTS games).

Perhaps the game developers have lost the element of fun in games. Look at the older console games. They are really fun to play and most of the time with mediocre graphics. Case in point the Metal Slug series. Although it's just a side scroller (which somehow PC has really limited titles), it's just really fun to play!

You know the one thing I miss most is the jet pack from Duke. I was always very good at using the pack and shooting from above. Wish other games had something similar.

You know the one thing I miss most is the jet pack from Duke. I was always very good at using the pack and shooting from above. Wish other games had something similar.

You can try MechWarrior 4 for the jet packs. I *think* it still can be considered a FPS :D

Geo Mod...

the concept/idea is good, it's just hard to make it fit into the game...
if it could realistically blow down doors, then we won't have to find the key!
and a building should collapse if i get a rocket launcher and blow the walls and... the... the vertical thingies that hold the building up :p

Lpoolboy said:
Boy, where you noobs wrong!!!!!!! :hotbounce
wtf? please don't tell me you registered and posted just for this.

First: HL2 won in the Poll from 2002.
Second: HL2 was made.
Third: Why were the voters in the poll "wrong!!!!!!!"?
Fourth: Making your first post here, calling people "noobs" is amusing to me.

SNGX1275 said:
wtf? please don't tell me you registered and posted just for this.

First: HL2 won in the Poll from 2002.
Second: HL2 was made.
Third: Why were the voters in the poll "wrong!!!!!!!"?
Fourth: Making your first post here, calling people "noobs" is amusing to me.

Fifth: ...and you used where instead of were!!

muppet...

Back