Port forwarding is a nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I have a really annoying problem. In short, I want to host my own game server for other friends to join. The ports I need are 28960 (TCP) and 20500,20510,20600,20610, 28960 (UDP). I have a ZOOM X4 modem/router with 3 computers connected to it. I have followed ZOOM's help guides EXACTLY to forward the ports to MY LOCAL IP (which is 10.0.0.7). So, information for those ports should be allowed for me, right? wrong.

I go to www.canyouseeme.org, check if 28960 is open, and it returns with:

"I could not see your service on 82.153.104.179 on port (28960)
Reason: Connection refused"

However, other ports that are forwarded DO work properly! For example, eMule (p2p file sharing) uses ports 4662 (TCP) and 4672 (UDP), and I follow the EXACT same port forwarding routine as I do for the game host ports. Emule has built in port-checker which gives the green light and says the ports are open. However, CANYOUSEEME.ORG doesn't say they are open it's just:

"I could not see your service on 82.153.104.179 on port (4662)
Reason: Connection refused"

But theres more. Today I found 3 extra rules that ZOOM had on default. These rules blocked ports 21, 23 and 80. I have deleted these rules and these ports are now open. CANYOUSEEME.ORG comes up with:

"I can see your service on 82.153.104.179 on port (21)
Your ISP is not blocking port 21"

Does anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong? I've been trying for about 6 months to get an answer to this. No, I don't have windows firewall on, or any firewall for that matter. And I only want to forward ports to MY PC, so that I can host a game server.

Thanks to anyone in advance who read this and is now trying to figure out what the hell I'm talking about :giddy:

Fox425 said:
(A) I go to www.canyouseeme.org, check if 28960 is open, and it returns with:

"I could not see your service on 82.153.104.179 on port (28960)
Reason: Connection refused"​

(B) However, other ports that are forwarded DO work properly! For example, eMule (p2p file sharing) uses ports 4662 (TCP) and 4672 (UDP), and I follow the EXACT same port forwarding routine ... However, CANYOUSEEME.ORG doesn't say they are open it's just:

"I could not see your service on 82.153.104.179 on port (4662)
Reason: Connection refused"​

(C) But theres more. Today I found 3 extra rules that ZOOM had on default. These rules blocked ports 21, 23 and 80. I have deleted these rules and these ports are now open. CANYOUSEEME.ORG comes up with:

"I can see your service on 82.153.104.179 on port (21)
Your ISP is not blocking port 21"

good reasoning on (c). 21 is ftp, 23 is telnet, 80 is http(web server); strongly suggest you restore those rules.
the reply on (c) gives you a hint re ISP ability to block ports at will.
as a non-hosted, ISP client, the EULA usually forbids running any services on
your system (you need to purchase a service upgrade). ports above 1024 can
be used and you might get away with it, but in the end, they find you by monitoring
bandwidth consumption -- so be advised -- you might even get totally disconnectd :dead:

that said, make sure you perform your testing with the application running!
a reply like connection refused says there's no application to make a reply,
while a reply like Connection timed out says the modem/router did not
forward and applied 'the default rejection rule' -- in this case a stealthy IGNORE

as a non-hosted, ISP client, the EULA usually forbids running any services on
your system (you need to purchase a service upgrade). ports above 1024 can
be used and you might get away with it, but in the end, they find you by monitoring
bandwidth consumption -- so be advised -- you might even get totally disconnectd

I didn't know the ISP could actually do that, nor that it was something frowned upon. The reason I've deleted the other rules was that I need to upload via ftp and the user manual said to remove the rule.

I see what you mean about the program having to be running. Just tried 462 with emule running and it gives the green light, so i'll try the game next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back