Port Forwarding Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 6 PCs each running Windows XP SP2, windows firewall installed, having a shared DSL connection using Alcatel - Thomson Speedtouch 608 DSL Modem, the problem is I couldnt forward the ports, tried the guide in portforward.com -> http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm , but it doesn't seem to work, help me out please

Correct me if im wrong but if the "Alcatel - Thomson Speedtouch 608" is your modem, to use that site you need to know which router you have and which program you are trying to open the port for. Let us know which router you have and which program you are trying to forward for and then we can go from there.

Thanks for the reply, Im trying out the new game, gunz online, the problem is whenever two players in the network join a game, they fail to meet, having 0 pings each, Im not really sure on how to identify the router, Im a noob when it comes to networking, by the way, other suggestions I got was to turn off firewall, did that, and it still aint workin

We need to know if you have a separate router or if its a modem/router combo type thing. Did you turn off the windows firewall or the one in your "router"? What you most likely need to do is get into the router setup and open whichever port your game uses. Its a simple process once you figure out which router you have and how to get into the settings.

No, I dont have a separate router, its most likely a modem/router combo, I did try turning off firewall, but it didn't work, assigned ports to each of my pc using udp and tcp, but I still cant get it to work.

quick question??? are the 2 people trying to play LAN game or trying to both connect to a public game server...

if you are trying to connect 2 computers to the same game server, that may be your problem...because the gameserver sees 1 ip address so it may not let 2 computers use the same ip connection... I have seen that a few times in the past..

if you are trying to connect via local Lan game then this is the first step.
can you access the other computer on the network outside of the game.

you should not have to do any port forwarding to play any game in a 2 person lan game.

I also see a problem when you are trying to do this port forwarding to 2 different computers...

You cant just forward any ole port to the computer and get it to work.
to get it to work you have to forward the ports the game uses for the connection and data stream to the computer you want WAN access to... you should not be able to specify port forwarding on 2 computers for the same range of ports....

and

Exactly why are you trying to do port forwarding to get it to work.... did you read on the game manufacturers site that you have to use port forwarding to get it to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back