Port forwarding trouble with Network Everywhere NWR04B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I'm trying to do something really simple and extremely baffled as to why it does not work. I'm trying to setup a forwarding rule through my router to forward any traffic coming in on port 143 to forward it to port 3389 of on of the computers on my LAN (for remote desktop use). I know it's not a remote desktop problem because I can remote desktop when directly connected to my highspeed modem as well as remote desktop fine using my computer's internal IP (192.168.x.x) but it simply doesn't seem to forward properly through the router. The crazy thing is, this used to work and I haven't changed anything. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

First, are you sure you are doing port forwarding and not port triggering?
Did you remember to tick the "Enable" check box for the forwarding rule?
Do you have packet filtering active on the router?
Are you sure the traffic is not forwarded through the router?
Are you sure it is not some advanced security software on the server computer? Disable all firewalls on the server machine until you get it sorted. WIndows Firewall has the nasty habit of turning itself back on sometimes.

Nodsu said:
First, are you sure you are doing port forwarding and not port triggering?
Did you remember to tick the "Enable" check box for the forwarding rule?
Do you have packet filtering active on the router?
Are you sure the traffic is not forwarded through the router?
Are you sure it is not some advanced security software on the server computer? Disable all firewalls on the server machine until you get it sorted. WIndows Firewall has the nasty habit of turning itself back on sometimes.

Yep, using port forwarding not port triggering.
Enable is checked for each rule
No packet filtering active.
Could you explain a bit about traffic not forwarded through the router, not sure about this one...
Not running a software firewall on the server computer.
Excellent point about Windows Firewall but it is disabled.

I really appreciate the suggestions - do you have any other ideas what might be the issue?

The first thing to check would be to try to telnet to your forwarded port. If you get a plank telnet window or some greeting then the port forwarding works. If you get a connection timeout or connection refused then it doesn't.

Next try forwarding the port to a known open port. For example forward port 143 to the router's local port 80 or one of your computer's open ports (Windows networking is a good bet). Telnet and see if you get a connection.

Not many touters actually allow the port number to be changed when port forwarding. Try to forward the 3389 port instead.

Does the remote desktop work if you set your computer to be the DMZ host? (Dangerous practice, make sure you have a fully patched Windows)

Just some random ideas..

Oh, and how are you testing the thing? Some routers have problems with loopback connections so if you are trying to connect to the forwarded port from your own network then it may not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back