Possible Malware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalX

My friend's computer is having a problem with the desktop/start menu. They won't show, no matter how many times he reboots. He can't right click on the desktop to click "Show Icons on the Desktop" either.

I thought maybe it was spyware and he somehow managed to run hijackthis and get a log to send to me (don't ask me how he did it). Anyone know if malware is causing this?

There`s no antivirus or firewall software being run and the computer is absolutely riddled with a variety of malware.

I suggest the computer is reformatted.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of MetalX only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hi

Important: Please read this thread HERE before you decide whether to clean or reformat your system.

You are also running an outdated version of HijackThis.

Should you decide to clean your computer, please go to this thread HERE for HijackThis latest version instructions.

You may wish to copy and paste these instructions on notepad for easier reference later.

Boot into safe mode under your normal user name. See how HERE

Next turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE

Go to start > run and type services.msc. Press the enter key.
Search for the following services(if there) double click to select stop if they are running. Set the startup type to disabled. Click apply/ok for each service you disable.

My Web Search Bar
MyWebSearch Email Plugin
NTLOAD
NTSVCMGR

After that, run HijackThis and fix the following entries, if found (do this by placing a tick in the check boxes beside these entries and clicking "Fix checked"):

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {00A6FAF6-072E-44cf-8957-5838F569A31D} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\SrchAstt\1.bin\MWSSRCAS.DLL

O2 - BHO: MyWebSearch Search Assistant BHO - {00A6FAF1-072E-44cf-8957-5838F569A31D} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\SrchAstt\1.bin\MWSSRCAS.DLL

O2 - BHO: mwsBar BHO - {07B18EA1-A523-4961-B6BB-170DE4475CCA} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\MWSBAR.DLL

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [My Web Search Bar] rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\MWSBAR.DLL,S

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MyWebSearch Email Plugin] C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\mwsoemon.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MyWebSearch Email Plugin] C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\mwsoemon.exe

O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.exe.imgfarm.com/images/no...ei/SmileyCentralFWBInitialSetup1.0.0.15-3.cab

O23 - Service: NTLOAD - Unknown owner - c:\windows\system32\dllcache\win32\winlogon.exe

O23 - Service: NTSVCMGR - Unknown owner - c:\windows\system32\dllcache\win32\winlogon.exe

Close HJT.

Navigate in Windows Explorer and delete the following files and folders in bold.

c:\windows\system32\dllcache\win32\winlogon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MyWebSearch

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Next, please go ahead to Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions and follow the steps to cleaning your computer. The thread provides a comprehensive mix of steps to remove common malware, as well as provide us logs of your system to look at so we can further remove any tricky nasties.
Do follow all the instructions exactly.

Thereafter, please post fresh HijackThis, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread. Do not copy and paste if not it will be ignored and/or removed by the moderators.

Regards,
Your friendly Momok =)

This thread is for the use of MetalX only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back