Possible memory/psu problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi techies,

firstly hear is a run down of my current system,

MSI K8N neo platinum nforce 3 mobo
Athlon 64 3700 socket 754 (stock cooling)
1gb kingston DDR 400
120gb seagate barracuda hdd
xfx geforce 6600 256mb
soundblaster audigy 2
400w psu (not sure what brand if any it says zest of somthing on the side of it)
1x 80mm case fan on the side blowing in

now my problem is with games crashing namely hl2 and cs:s, i get about 5 mins of play then the game hangs and i get about 4 seconds of scratchy sounds and then a re-set, no BSOD however. windows error reporting says its either a problem with mem, mobo, cpu or psu.

Now here is the kicker
the mobo and cpu are brand new infact the whole comp is except for the mem, psu and case, my last one died a slow death after some liquid got in thru the case fan i think. the old gfx card went first, (6800GT puke: ) then after i replaced this the hard disk went, got a new one then the teh puter wouldnt boot at all so got a new mobo and cpu. all is now fine except for the game crashes.

ive tried swapping the mem sticks arround and using 1 at a time etc but its still crashing. im thinking its the psu since there was water involved

any help would be welcome,

thanks

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I`d recommend that you test your ram as per this thread HERE Also run a disk check.

If after doing the above, your ram checks out ok. Zip 5 or 6 minidumps together and post them here

Check your temperatures.

what psu do you have, and can you try a different psu?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

thanks for the tips howard,

i forgot to mention that id tried memtest already with both sticks in, i let it run for about 2 hours which i think was about 6 passes, no errors reported. im going to try them individually now.

as for the psu im not sure if it is a branded 1 it has a little blue oval shaped logo with some lettering i cant make out, no help im sure

according to core center my comp is idling about 45/c and after running 3d mark 05 its 58/c but quickly drops back down under 50.

mini dumps

hey howard i thought id fixed it there for a while after running chkdsk but the crashes have started again.

here are the mini dumps you requested any ways hope you can shed a little more light on the sugject

I`m sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but you have a hardware problem.

All your mindumps crash with a bugcheck of 9c. Look HERE for futher information.

In the lefthand pane of the above link. click on the 9c Machine check..... Entry.

This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

You will need to diagnose just which piece of hardware is faulty. This can be very difficult, and time consuming.

Regards Howard :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back