Possible motherboard driver problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought several new system components from newegg.com and I am having some problems that I was thinking might be related to the motherboard drivers. The motherboard I purchased was an Asus K8V SE Deluxe, however I bought it refurbished thinking that I would be able to figure out any problems that arose as a result. This means that it didn't come with any of the original things that were packed with it, I just got the motherboard. The manual wasn't too hard to find online, but the driver cd that should have come with it is where I think the problem might arise. I was able to install windows xp professional without any problems, however I haven't installed any motherboard specific drivers. Apparently it's running on whatever default drivers windows xp installed on it. Everything is working great except when I attempt to run graphics intensive games such as the Battlefield 2 demo or Half-Life 2. Everthing runs fine for a few minutes and then I will get a crazy high pitched static noise from the speakers and the computer will hardlock. My question is could this problem come from the fact that I haven't installed any specific drivers for my motherboard? The only things I'm using on the motherboard at the moment is the primary and secondary ide slots, 2 PCI slots, and the AGP slot. I have the most recent drivers for my video and sound card.

I'm running:
ASUS K8V SE DELUXE K8T800
POWER SUPPLY CMAX 400WCX-400B BK RT
VGA ASUS N6600GT/TD/128
CPU AMD 64 |3700+ ATHLON 64 754
SB Audigy
with 2 512 sticks of PC3200 Centon ram

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried the ASUS website to get the mobo drivers?

I'd check for heat related problems. From what you describe, it sounds like the static noise is the CPU heat threshold alarm. What is it set for in the BIOS settings?

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket754/k8vse-d/overview.htm
is a link to your board on the asus website. follow the driver download to get chivers for the chipset, lan, sound, usb, and any other devices you have onboard.

uninstall all the devices you have already loaded the drivers for or reformat (i'd choose to reformat). install the chipset drivers first, followed by the lan and sound and video, then the others.

if the problem persists say so here, because if so you probably have a serious hardware problem.

Is it possible that my power supply is not large enough for my current setup? I downloaded a utility called motherboard manager 5 and it keeps giving me this warning:

Alarm for Core 0: it has reached 1.42 Volts and this is on or past the value of 5% which you set as the alarm value.

I used this same program to watch the temperature of my cpu and case while playing the bf2 demo and they didn't rise more than about 10 degrees farenheight from 95 degrees f to 104 degrees f on the cpu and the case temperature didn't really change. I have no idea if these values are acceptable or not but it didn't trip any of the built in warnings on the program.

ASUS K8V SE DELUXE K8T800
POWER SUPPLY CMAX 400WCX-400B BK RT
VGA ASUS N6600GT/TD/128
CPU AMD 64 |3700+ ATHLON 64 754
SB Audigy
with 2 512 sticks of PC3200 Centon ram
I forgot to mention last time that I also have a dvd rom drive, a rewriteable cd rom drive, a zipdrive an 80g maxtor hard drive and a floppy drive.

Thanks again for any help.

your power supply is of lower quality and power than what you'd typically use in such a system. the 6600 based graphics card is probably killing the supply. i've seen a few such problems (like the one you initially described) and each time it turned out that the mobo was bad and needed replacement.

run a prime95 'torture test' for at least an hour and reply whether or not the problem persists.

Thanks for the suggestions I ended up buying a new motherboard and it fixed my problems. The prime95 torture test locked the system up as well, but now that I switched motherboards out everything is working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back