Possible power problems/unusual

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Logical_Man

Possible power supply problems?

Hi guys, i'm having a major problem with my computer, just wondering if you guys can help?

Last night I was using my computer as usual, was running without any problems. Suddenly the computer just powered down, turned itself straight off, and was like a power cut. I left it until the morning when the computer still failed to start. I then started to try and isolate the problem, unplugging unnecessary parts ETC. I suspected it was the processor as this has happened before. However, I am able to start the computer up, but only with a maximum of 2 hard drives connected. In order to get this to work I have been forced to unplug the third hard drive, my 2 DVD drives, my floppy drive and a case fan. Other combinations work, but it seems only 2 drives can be connected at any one time. When it doesn’t power on, everything starts up for around 3 seconds and then shuts down. It just doesn't make sense as my computer has been working fine for over a year without any problems in this configuration, and over 18 months before that. I am at a loss to explain why the system would suddenly appear to require more power. As I say I really have no idea, has anyone experienced anything similar or have any idea what's going on?

My computer spec,

Motherboard - A7N8X Deluxe with an athlon XP 2700 +
550 watt PSU
3 Hard drives, 2 SATA
2 DVD/CD rom drives

TLM

Certainly seems like a degraded power supply. By one with a larger wattage, this one might have been borderline.

Yes, it seems to be the power supply. Either to weak in the first place, or a cheap one, in which it gives less wattage then stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back